Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MRC versus Burly effortless clutches

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 12:19 AM
michla
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MRC versus Burly effortless clutches

Ok I give....
searched the site for more on this comparison, but nada.

2001 Softail FXSTI Std here. 21 degree ramp angle on the throwout bearing is killing my wrist...course, the fact that I sprained it this winter might have something to do with that

Anyway, I've been sizing up the designs of two different EZ clutches--the MRC HD-0001 and the Burly B117-115. Cost is not a concern, dependability is---although the MRC unit is like $150 and the Burly unit is like $35 or less. Could this be a case of "...you get what you pay for?.."

The MRC unit uses larger ball bearings/shallower-longer grooves/18 degree ramp angle with a similar lever and the clutch cable end is retained pretty much the same config as stock. The Burly unit uses a leverage arm instead, attaching to the OEM throwout bearing arm. I've noticed the clutch cable end is displaced at the end of the longer arched leverage arm, for what appears to make the clutch cable effectively longer by and inch or two. My clutch cable adjuster is already maxed out, I'm concerned about the cable length as a result.

So the raging debate is this: I've researched both fixes and they both appear to be quality units. There's lots of comments about how well either works, the only difference might be the MRC unit claims to reduce cable effort by 50% whereas the Burly unit boasts 30-40%.

Has anybody had any questionable experience with either or both? Both require readjustment of the pressure plate, so that's not a factor for opinion here.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:08 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts
Old 05-10-2015, 03:58 AM
michla
Advanced

Originally Posted by Next In Line

Because I have a modified valvetrain putting out some serious torque and modified "easy clutches" slip. Better to go for the throwout bearing mod.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:46 PM
michla
Advanced

well...I did it. Purchased the MRC hd-0001 today. Logic to me was additional stress on the throwout arm of the Buddy system could fatigue the arm and break eventually (maybe not, but it sounds good on paper!). The reduced and enlarged ramp angle and larger bearing ***** made more sense to me and besides, I didn't want to deal with cable adapters or replacement.