Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling SG. Slim or a Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 12:37 AM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Selling SG. Slim or a Fat Boy

I now have a 2006 SG that I am going to sell. It only has just over 11.500 miles. I think I only rode it 3 times last year. Once I sat on a Fat Boy low and I was able to put my feet flat the ground I realized why. I am just too short. After some thought I think it is time to sell the SG and get something that I am more comfortable on. I will miss the stereo and the bags. I really don't do long trips. Mostly local riding. My girlfriend only has off one day a week so there will be some two up riding. We been looking at the Fat Boy, Fat Boy Low and the Slim. I am digging the look of the Slim. Whenever I bring up the Slim the GF asks if its the one where the plate sticks out? On that note are there different mounts? I been reading that the Slim handles real well.

I know I would need to change the seat on the Slim for two up. My SG has Monkey Bars on it and I like the feel/comfort. How would the Slim be with small apes? Pics would be great. And any other advice would be great. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Selling SG.  Slim or a Fat Boy-street-glide.jpg  
Old 05-24-2015, 03:35 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Honestly, it sounds like you listen to the wrong people when asking for advice on what motorcycle to buy before you spent money on the 2006 SG. Why are you going to make the same mistake again with your next bike?

Keep your SG if you are only planning on making a bunch of strangers happy.

However, if you want a motorcycle that is comfortable and fun to ride, forget about looks and the name on the tank. Find a dealer that has a big selection of used bikes - easier to get a test ride on a used one than a new one. Tell them what you own now and the issues you have with it that is keeping you off the thing. Try to test ride as many of their suggestions as possible until you find the "right" bike.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:34 AM
fatfatboy
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I got rid of my Ultra for the same reason. Just to dang big. In three years I put 35,000 miles on it and just never got comfortable in parking lots and gravel drive ways.

Yes there is different mounts for the plate. I didn't care for the side mount either. Went to a fender mount with an LED. much cleaner IMO. I also added a Mustang two up seat, fairing and bags.
Its not quite the highway bike my Ultra was but its much more enjoyable for 90% of the riding I do.

Here how she sits in touring fashion

There is an option for a radio but I didn't want the extra weight or buttons to fiddle with. Now I just listen to the sound coming out the Vance and Hines pipes.

The Fatboy and Slim are pretty much the same bike (I have both) although the Slim handles a little better because of the skinnier tires. The Fatboy wheels are easier and faster to clean. One downfall on either is the floorboards scrape more than they will on your SG. It's one of the downfalls of lower bikes. But after you scrape them a few times you get use to the noise.

As for bars there is plenty of Slims with apes and they look nice. Check out the "Slim Lets See The Pics" thread.
Because of my short arms I needed to change the bar height but I went the easy (cheap) way and just added risers so I didn't have to change wires or cables.

Good luck.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:22 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

But Harley tourers are superior to softails in every conceivable way and they're "real" Harleys because they shake. Why would you want a (insert ignorant word or food to describe japanese made motorcycles) metric smooth Softail. Sorry couldn't resist now back your question. For two riding I would go with the Fatboy because the passenger seat is wider and it is more stable due to it's wide wheels. For looks and handling I would go with a slim. Test ride them both with your passenger and see which is better for you both. In the end I think everyone needs two bikes. One that's cool and for solo riding and the other for two up riding. That's why I have two softails. Good luck with your decision and welcome to the stf.

Last edited by Tailsfrommycrib; 05-24-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:46 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Love my Heritage for the way it rides not only on the open road but for the thousands of miles I ride around town.

With a secondary tall windshield, Boom Audio, Progressive 422 RAP shocks, Signature Series seat, Tour Pak and included saddlebags I think I have the best of all worlds.

I have a bike for around town or bar hopping that handles great, is low to the ground, has good music and still goes down the highway smoothly and has enough storage space for a week's ride.

So to answer your question; given your two choices the Fat Boy would be my choice simply due to it would be easy to set it up for dual purpose use when desired.

Last edited by Bluraven; 05-24-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:04 PM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have both a Lo (hers) and a Slim (mine).

I absolutely recommend taking both for a test ride. They aren't the same. Between them, I'd say the Slim is more nimble, but they are both great bikes. Comparing new bikes, the Slim is a lot less expensive, but will need a lot to add all the stuff to allow a passenger (new seat, passenger pegs, backrest if you want). The Lo, I believe, is set up for a passenger straight out of the gate. My opinion is the OEM seat on the Lo is comfy, but the Slim's seat completely sucks.

Both bikes are set up with apes - 12" on the Lo, 16" on the Slim. For short/medium range rides, they're great. If I'm going further than, say, 300 miles, I take the Road King.

The original location of the plate on the Slim drove me nuts. The mount is designed so the plate can be turned horizontally, but here in Wisconsin, law requires it to be run horizontally. There are probably some factory options, and there are definitely a few aftermarket options. I put mine on the axle bolt, with a swingarm bag. It's a lot less... sticky-outy.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:44 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Honestly, it sounds like you listen to the wrong people when asking for advice on what motorcycle to buy before you spent money on the 2006 SG. Why are you going to make the same mistake again with your next bike?

Keep your SG if you are only planning on making a bunch of strangers happy.

However, if you want a motorcycle that is comfortable and fun to ride, forget about looks and the name on the tank. Find a dealer that has a big selection of used bikes - easier to get a test ride on a used one than a new one. Tell them what you own now and the issues you have with it that is keeping you off the thing. Try to test ride as many of their suggestions as possible until you find the "right" bike.
I really don't care about making a bunch of strangers happy. I am also not going to buy a bike that I am not thrilled about the look. I wouldn't buy a car or truck if I didn't like how it looks.

I am looking for opinions on the two bikes. Once I get the chance to take them for a test ride I will. I am just looking for some opinions on the two. Thanks for the opinions so far guys.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:07 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Obviously the moderator that moved this thread didn't take the time to read the thread.

This needs to be moved back to the softail forum.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:16 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member

I stopped at a local HD dealer yesterday. I between the rain I was able to get assort demo ride on a Slim. I as very comfortable on the bike. First thing I noticed was how easy it was to touch the ground when I can to a stop. When I get a chance I will take a Fat Boy for a ride. The g/f is liking the Slim more Se used to be sold on the Fat Boy. But we saw a couple on a Fat Boy and the passenger was sitting much higher then the rider. I know these bikes are on the same frame. So my guess s the passenger on a Slim would be sitting just as high?

Old 05-26-2015, 03:54 PM
wildman926
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fatboy for sure...best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: Selling SG. Slim or a Fat Boy