Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout speedo calibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:42 PM
sincitychoppa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Breakout speedo calibration

I just changed my rear sprocket +2 teeth and need to calibrate my speedo. I heard from Vance and Hines that they'd be releasing an update that gave the ability to calibrate he speedo through the fp3. I called in today to check their status as hey told me this a few months ago. Well they said they may not be able to write to software and are still looking into it.

I also called my HD dealer, the unreliable sources they are, and they informed me that they can not do it either as it is impossible.

Well I know all computer controlled automobiles and bikes can adjust this setting as manufacturers change tires and rim sizes all the time.

Does anybody know how I can do this on a new breakout? I am surprised none of the speedo calibration companies haven't come out with a programmer yet.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:35 AM
Valdemar
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I use in my bike the power vision to configure the injection, and I when open the power vision program in the pc, there are a section to configure the calibration of thr speedometer.
If with power vision can configure the speedometer, i think is possible with the other tuners system.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:53 AM
sincitychoppa
Cruiser

Well that may be reason enough for me to sell the fp3 and buy a power vision. I infer what a used fp3 is worth. Are they even able to be paired to another bike if you take it off?

Old 05-29-2015, 03:50 AM
turbotom1052
Road Master
Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts

Plus 2 in the rear is not a very big change. Seeings how most speedometers aren't usually ***** on accurate to begin with perhaps the plus 2 will bring you spot on . Check your bikes speedometer against a GPS and you'll know.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:29 PM
sincitychoppa
Cruiser

Originally Posted by turbotom1052
Plus 2 in the rear is not a very big change. Seeings how most speedometers aren't usually ***** on accurate to begin with perhaps the plus 2 will bring you spot on . Check your bikes speedometer against a GPS and you'll know.
The bikes speedo was high abou 3mph at 60mph. Now it is about 10% high. I'm at the course 15 or 20,000 miles I can be a significant difference

Old 05-29-2015, 07:28 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by sincitychoppa
Well that may be reason enough for me to sell the fp3 and buy a power vision. I infer what a used fp3 is worth. Are they even able to be paired to another bike if you take it off?
No. It marries to your bike the first time you use it.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:56 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

I have done the same mod and used my power vision to calibrate the speedometer. Like you say. The speedometer was off to begin with and the sprocket change made it worse. Now it is perfect. Set the calibration pulses number to 2230.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:40 AM
sincitychoppa
Cruiser

Well I wish I bought a PowerVision instead of an FP3.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:34 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by sincitychoppa
I just changed my rear sprocket +2 teeth and need to calibrate my speedo.

I also called my HD dealer, the unreliable sources they are, and they informed me that they can not do it either as it is impossible.
I changed my primary to a belt drive which changed the ratio but didn't effect the speedo (go figure!). My gear readout became confused, so I called HD techless support... they didn't seem to know anything.

Does anybody know how I can do this on a new breakout? I am surprised none of the speedo calibration companies haven't come out with a programmer yet.
Well, I went back to Rivera-Primo (belt drive mfr) and they had a "speedometer adjustment tool" available. I bought it, but haven't installed it yet, because it involves splicing the unit (1.25" x 2" x 1/2") into the wiring between the speed sensor and the ECU. It has 2 buttons (up & down) to adjust the speedo. I got mine from DCP for $100. (R-P #1097-0001)

Attached Thumbnails Breakout speedo calibration-speedo1.jpg   Breakout speedo calibration-speedo2.jpg  
Old 05-30-2015, 02:34 PM
InTheWinda1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Valdemar
I use in my bike the power vision to configure the injection, and I when open the power vision program in the pc, there are a section to configure the calibration of thr speedometer.
If with power vision can configure the speedometer, i think is possible with the other tuners system.
you can change the speedometer calibration value in the tune, but will change both readings by the same amount . the speed going to vision tune is same signal that is going to factory speedo . my HD factory speedo is 3mph miles fast , when doing 70mph I'm actuly doing 67mph ,, so I am going to try speedo tune .
JIM

Quick Reply: Breakout speedo calibration