Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding the Night Train

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 05:43 PM
Steven725
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Rebuilding the Night Train

Going to start rebuilding this 09 Train Wreck. I'm wanting to go for a newer old school look if that makes any sense.

As of right now I got all the tins including the heartland kit at the painter to get a custom paint job I designed along with a new dash that I had to weld and shape to get it to properly fit the 09. I just got a shipment of parts, I'm sure I'm leaving some parts out but I have a BDL open belt drive, RSD clarity rocker boxes, RSD clarity cam cover, RSD adjustable levers, RSD shift link, 16 inch Carlin gangster apes, Daymaker with french trim, front oil cooler, and a lot other miscellaneous stuff getting powder coated.

I plan on getting new triple trees for it but can't decide if I should put a 3 degree rake on it or leave it without a rake. What do you guys think?

I haven't made to much of dent on getting everything on just yet but I'll post more pictures up as the build continues.

Attached Thumbnails Rebuilding the Night Train-photogrid_1436999921758.jpg   Rebuilding the Night Train-20150716_094533.jpg  

Last edited by Steven725; 07-16-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:25 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Sounds like you have a hell of a good idea on what you wanna do and what you need! I like the wheels that are on it. Looks cool with the red.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:08 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Good to see you're finally getting stuck into it. Loved the bike before, these new parts will defintely take it to another level, looking forward to seeing it together.

You run a 23" front wheel from memory yeah? I think an extra 3 degrees or standard rake would as well as the other, as long as you lower the hell out of the front to bring the bike more level. That's just my opion though.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:16 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude, definitely do the new trees. If it's within your budget go for it. You won't regret it. The time to do it is now while the bike is apart.

Nice list of parts you got there. You'll like the RSD adjustable levers, I have them on my rocker and they look and feel great.

Where did you get the BDL? Of did you already have it? I don't rememene.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:11 AM
Steven725
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ink83
Good to see you're finally getting stuck into it. Loved the bike before, these new parts will defintely take it to another level, looking forward to seeing it together.

You run a 23" front wheel from memory yeah? I think an extra 3 degrees or standard rake would as well as the other, as long as you lower the hell out of the front to bring the bike more level. That's just my opion though.
Thanks Ink, I was just showing your build to a few guys I work with and it's looking really good. I can't wait to see it all put together. Youre build inspired me to finish my bike.

I'm running the 23 up front and I think I'm leaning towards a rake and pulling our another inch or so out of the front. I want to get that think as low as I can.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:17 AM
Steven725
Tourer

Originally Posted by Alain
Dude, definitely do the new trees. If it's within your budget go for it. You won't regret it. The time to do it is now while the bike is apart.

Nice list of parts you got there. You'll like the RSD adjustable levers, I have them on my rocker and they look and feel great.

Where did you get the BDL? Of did you already have it? I don't rememene.
I think I'm going to do the trees because you're right might as well do it while it's torn apart. I've heard from people those levers are awesome I'm anxious to get them on.

I just ordered the BDL my buddy talked me into it. I love the way they look.

Last edited by Steven725; 07-16-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:19 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven725
I think I'm going to do the trees because you're right might as well do it while it's torn apart. I've heard from people those levers are awesome I'm anxious to get them on.

I just ordered the BDL my buddy talked me into it. I love the way theyou look.
Smart move on the trees. You won't regret it. I went with HHI and couldn't be happier.

I'm STILL kicking around the idea of an open belt drive on my ride, that is the reason I asked you about it. Would you mind telling me where you got yours and how much it ran you?

Old 07-16-2015, 05:08 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks man that's really cool to know. I was actually showing your bike to the misses not long ago, she digs the setup you had going on, reckon she'll be interested to see your new setup too.

I think taking it 3 degrees is the better option of the two seam you have a 23". I always find myself wishing I went that bit lower which each front end I put together.
If I were you I'd look into American Suspension's air piston kit for your front forks too. Find out what people out there think of them first, but if you hear good things, then that'd be crazy cool on your train

Old 07-16-2015, 04:33 PM
Steven725
Tourer

Originally Posted by Alain
Smart move on the trees. You won't regret it. I went with HHI and couldn't be happier.

I'm STILL kicking around the idea of an open belt drive on my ride, that is the reason I asked you about it. Would you mind telling me where you got yours and how much it ran you?

Right now its a toss up between the HHI, Accutronix and Pro-One tress with a rake. I don't think I could really go wrong with any of them. Still just would like to research all of them just a little.

I hope to get the BDL on here in the next few days and ill post pictures up as soon as I can. I looked online and found that the one I wanted ran about 2250. After a lot of looking I found a company on amazon that had the one I wanted for 2000 (cheapest I could find it online). I showed my Harley dealership and they priced matched it right there on the spot without question. I hope this helps you out and persuades you into buying one.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:46 PM
Steven725
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ink83
Thanks man that's really cool to know. I was actually showing your bike to the misses not long ago, she digs the setup you had going on, reckon she'll be interested to see your new setup too.

I think taking it 3 degrees is the better option of the two seam you have a 23". I always find myself wishing I went that bit lower which each front end I put together.
If I were you I'd look into American Suspension's air piston kit for your front forks too. Find out what people out there think of them first, but if you hear good things, then that'd be crazy cool on your train

Ink you're going to drive me into bankruptcy with your ideas haha!!! It seems like the front end can never be low enough. I've actually talked to several companies about doing air ride up front and Tricky Air wanted 3gs to build me a set up but they didn't know where they would mount the compressor and I didn't want it exposed and looked like it was rigged on there. I have looked into American Suspension and that looks like more feasible option and not as expensive as Tricky Air. Plus I can piggyback off my compressor rather then mount another one.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding the Night Train