Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 12:51 AM
Alphadiver
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet question.

So, I normally just use the half helmet, in fact it's all I've ever used, however, I am considering using a full face helmet for longer/faster trips (don't judge me!). I am wondering if anyone else uses a full face and what they'd recommend that gives protection plus looks right on a Harley (I have a Night Train). My 2 choices would be the Simpson Bandit or the Bell Bullitt.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:09 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Aria full face for me.

Function > fashion.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:46 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd buy the Simpson carbon fibre bandit in a heart beat if they were approved on Australian roads

Old 08-02-2015, 06:18 AM
Valdemar
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

You can use 3/4 helmet with windshield (bubble style or smooth style, there are many types of winshields for helmets)

I hate the full helmets, because i can´t hear perfectly and with the full helmet, my vision camp is narrow.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:36 AM
paul0311
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a Bell Bullitt, a Biltwell Gringo, and bubble shields for my 3/4. Choose the Bullitt most of the time. Visibility is awesome but it is pretty loud for a full face though.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:24 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by Valdemar
You can use 3/4 helmet with windshield (bubble style or smooth style, there are many types of winshields for helmets)
I hate the full helmets, because i can´t hear perfectly and with the full helmet, my vision camp is narrow.
fF helmets make me feel closed in, so I wear a 3/4 withdraw a face shield too. It "feels" open without the wind in my eyes or bugs in my face.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:48 AM
Johnnyh14
Road Warrior
Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

No judgment for a full face helmet. I have a HJC modular. It is one of the styles out there that offer better peripheral vision. In the winter it is warmer then my half helmet.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:57 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I love my Gringo S. Looks (and fits better) more like my 1970 Bell Star than the new Bullitt. For some reason the Bullitt does not fit me at all.
I have worn Arai and they are one of the best and very quiet.

Here is a link to a thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...dshield-6.html

Old 08-02-2015, 08:04 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphadiver
..I am considering using a full face helmet for longer/faster trips (don't judge me!).
Kinda sad that the "Harley culture" is such, that one even needs to consider being judged for wearing a full-coverage helmet, huh?

I say F**K 'em, and use one anyway, and find them much for comfortable than the 1/2 or 3/4 helmets. One reason is that they've gotten the aerodynamics down on the better full helmets, so there's less drag and "helmet lift" than with the smaller helmets. And less drag and turbulence than with a bare head too.

We've decided that we don't need to try to look like "weekend pirates" when we ride, so our full coverage helmets are rather conventional looking... three HJC's and two Shoei's. They have multiple vents which can be opened or closed, so heat really isn't a problem as long as you're moving.

However, two of my wife's full helmets have some fancy floral graphics, and she actually gets compliments on them from other Harley riders! So some of the notion that you're not supposed to wear one, or need to wear one that looks like a Darth Vader or a WWII infantry helmet, is myth.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 08-02-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:13 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I strongly agree with Warp Factor! I usually ride without the Q/R windshield but either way, I don't find the 1/2 and 3/4 helmets comfortable, due to lift, turbulence noise, etc. Full Face helmet only for me.

Quick Reply: Helmet question.