Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

De-reflecting bikes with denim paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:00 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default De-reflecting bikes with denim paint

I want to remove my reflectors. The forks are easy, and I've easily removed them from normal shiny paint, but I'm curious if they come off denim paint easily or if a special technique is needed.

Any ideas?

Old 09-01-2015, 06:45 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't remeber any being on the denim paint on my Lo, just fork lowers and fender struts.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:02 AM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

took mine of the rear fender with fishing line then use a citrus cleaner for the glue left on it

Old 09-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Lucky Doug
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You might have some fading on the paint depending on the age of your bike and some other factors. My tank emblems started peeling off and I was going to leave them off but the ghost image was just too bad.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:19 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Thanks. Doing the deed tonight. It's a brand new bike, so no fading )I hope)

I was going to post this in the General Harley-Davidson Chat section, but I'm pretty sure they told me to get off their lawn. It was a mumble, so I'm not real sure.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Berick
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
Thanks. Doing the deed tonight. It's a brand new bike, so no fading )I hope)

I was going to post this in the General Harley-Davidson Chat section, but I'm pretty sure they told me to get off their lawn. It was a mumble, so I'm not real sure.
If it's that 2016 (flat green) Slim in your signature.... I think your dealer messed up and put the reflectors on your rear fender. They are supposed to be on the strut just below..... at least all that I have seen have been that way. I would make sure you were using a heat gun when you take that off. I'm not sure how rugged that denim paint is to be yanking those reflectors off. They get stuck on there pretty good!

Old 09-02-2015, 04:45 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Berick
If it's that 2016 (flat green) Slim in your signature.... I think your dealer messed up and put the reflectors on your rear fender. They are supposed to be on the strut just below..... at least all that I have seen have been that way. I would make sure you were using a heat gun when you take that off. I'm not sure how rugged that denim paint is to be yanking those reflectors off. They get stuck on there pretty good!
Note taken. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:52 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Berick
Your right I just saw that after your post.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:40 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

The reflectors won't fit anywhere on the struts. The strut has a relief cut in it right in the longest straight section.

Anyway, they came right off with braided fishing line. Literally two seconds, followed by a few minutes of gentle heat and rolling the tape off with my thumb. Looks great.

The ones on the forks are stuck much better, but the Powder coat is very forgiving. I just heated them up pretty good and dragged the fishing line behind them. Heated the tissue and wiped it with a cloth.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:23 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Berick, did i hear you say the dealer puts the reflectors on? My deleuxe didnt have a any rear reflectors and it was bought new off the showroom floor. I have always wondered why?

Quick Reply: De-reflecting bikes with denim paint