Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Sprocket Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 01:12 AM
galaxyfe
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need Sprocket Change

OK, this bike needs a ratio change something fierce!! We all know these bikes are geared fall from the factory anyways to meet CAFE, EPA, and noise standards. But with the new cams now, it's worse. Since the cams have moved the rpm range where the bike likes to run up a bit, it's even worse. I'm constantly running a gear lower that I was before the cams just to keep her happy. And pulling away from a stop seems like forever to get the clutch all the way out.

But anyway...so what are my options? Doesn't seem like I see a lot of talk about throwing on a larger rear sprocket. Are there not many options? Smaller front sprocket...which seems like more work to install. Thanks for any tips guys.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:02 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts
Old 09-05-2015, 05:34 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

www.evolution-industries.com
49 tooth clutch baSket & a Baker Attitude adjuster.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:27 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by galaxyfe
But with the new cams now, it's worse. Since the cams have moved the rpm range where the bike likes to run up a bit, it's even worse. I'm constantly running a gear lower that I was before the cams just to keep her happy. And pulling away from a stop seems like forever to get the clutch all the way out.
Sounds like you've got most of it sorted out. Run in a lower gear to keep the rpms up. Lots of slipping the clutch in first? Our clutches seem to hold up pretty well to that.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:56 AM
galaxyfe
Tourer

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Sounds like you've got most of it sorted out. Run in a lower gear to keep the rpms up. Lots of slipping the clutch in first? Our clutches seem to hold up pretty well to that.
Ummm, thanks, but living with it is not the answer. Sorting it out is a sprocket change.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:23 AM
sober1
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default do know if this is info you're looking for

I did SE-255 cams last summer and clutch slipped like a bitch when jumping on it. Then I installed SE Clutch Spring which cleared up 80 - 90% slippage when banging on it. I just put the Andrews 30T Trans pulley (stock 32)on with a 70T Harley Pulley(stock 66T) and Hayden M-6 (?) Chain Tensioner on. Good news I was apply to reuse stock belt! Ball parking ratio change for the Six Speed was ~ 2.790 to 3.10. Now when I bang on it, it ***** and gits. I only have 25 miles on this combo so I really can't comment on around town overall drivability yet, but I have noticed 2 things - 1) I'll need a few more miles on it to find right gear for 35 - 40 MPH around driving to avoid chugging and 2) when I stomp on it - she goes!<p> I ride it like I stole it more often than not. I'm a gear head, what can I say!

Attached Thumbnails Need Sprocket Change-img_20150621_151243664_hdr.jpg  
Old 09-05-2015, 11:31 AM
galaxyfe
Tourer

I would think a larger rear sprocket woul do the trick and be an easier and cheaper job. Have done that on every bike I've ever owned...plus a few vehicles. Nothing beats a gear change for overall driveability. Just to clarify, my clutch doesn't slip at all. It just take a lot more feathering to get underway and creep in 1st gear than before the cam change.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:18 PM
sober1
Cruiser
Default a word of caution or two

my rear is a 200/55r/17 so rear sprocket is 20mm to accommodate wider tire. also somewhere in my research I found a site that has a belt chart for sprocket combos for OEM. I went from a total of 98 (32+66) to 100 (30+70) and was able to use my belt, though I don't know for your specific case. Also the sprocket mounting boss was a different thickness, so I had to use DS Spacer. (I owe thanks to the threads here for that info! thanks guys!)

Attached Thumbnails Need Sprocket Change-img_20150625_092006850.jpg  
Old 09-05-2015, 01:02 PM
sober1
Cruiser
Default one more thing

also, I didn't reinstall belt guard and debris deflector (lower plastic piece). If you plan on making changes it's just another piece of the puzzle to be aware of.

Attached Thumbnails Need Sprocket Change-img_20150905_123724806.jpg  
Old 09-05-2015, 01:13 PM
galaxyfe
Tourer

I've got a slim, so, plenty of reasons estate between there and the tire. I would like to keep all the plastic as I actually like it, but not the end of the world if not possible. Just seems like a rear sprocket and belt is cheaper and easier than tearing into the front assembly.

Quick Reply: Need Sprocket Change