Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Series - Home Base

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:26 AM
Hellbilly562
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13,166 Likes on 5,400 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
2017 Fatboy S, purchased in January. When I went to the dealer to get the bike I noticed they had it in the corner with a tender plugged in to the wall, but NOT plugged in to the bike. After a couple of weeks started to notice that the bike would hang in the morning when starting. It would make about one rotation, hang, two rotations, start. I figured "bad battery, I will change it when it gets worse". Not the first time I bought a new bike with a crap battery.

This morning, riding to work, got stuck BAD traffic; bike is cooking. So I turn it off during the red light. Light changes to green and I go to start it and these two things happened almost simultaneously:
1. Motor turns one rotation and hangs.
2. Loud bang in the primary as if it was struck full force with a ball-peen hammer.
Still holding the start button, and nothing is happening. Released the button and pressed it again, bike starts without issue.

This is my fourth Harley Davidson, third Twin Cam, and I swear this bike RUNS rougher than any other Twin Cam I have had or rode. I am planning on taking it in for a look, but i know damned well I am going to get told that "we couldn't recreate the issue, starts fine for us". So have any of you S 110 owners had any issues starting/cranking/running, anything? Thanks in advance for your input.

I've had that loud bang once on mine....same conditions basically.....double check your connections on your tender plug....on the wife's 110, her's wasn't even connected.....just dangling inside the cover (Lowrider S)......on mine, I figured because the battery might have not been fully charged.....

Old 03-24-2017, 10:11 AM
cobra23
Tourer
Received 352 Likes on 196 Posts

I have a 2016 Fatboy S with 8K miles purchased 10/16. I keep the bike on a tender full time so I know the battery is fully charged.

When I go to start it cold it seems like it is straining to turn over but since it's a 110 that is not unexpected. It always starts.

When hot I did once have a pop after several seconds of trying to turn over. I let up on the s,tarter button and the restart was fine.

I would just ride it. I do however recommend a dyno tune. Although a 110, my tune really woke the bike up, and I mean really.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:12 AM
abadley
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra23
I have a 2016 Fatboy S with 8K miles purchased 10/16. I keep the bike on a tender full time so I know the battery is fully charged.

When I go to start it cold it seems like it is straining to turn over but since it's a 110 that is not unexpected. It always starts.

When hot I did once have a pop after several seconds of trying to turn over. I let up on the s,tarter button and the restart was fine.

I would just ride it. I do however recommend a dyno tune. Although a 110, my tune really woke the bike up, and I mean really.
Did you do anything else besides the tune? Different exhaust, etc...?

Old 03-24-2017, 10:18 AM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra23

I haven't had any issues with my Slim S and have about 2900 miles now. If you do a search on this forum for 110's, others have had this issue. Good luck!!

Old 03-24-2017, 10:35 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I am pretty savvy with the search function. Using 110 as a keyword search in Titles brought up 2 pages. Only 1 post referencing a "tapping" noise with the usual reply from a vendor trying to sell a product. This wasn't a tap, as I said, it was a BANG with the full force of a 5lb ball-peen hammer. Have you ever swung one full force?

Old 03-24-2017, 10:53 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,264 Likes on 931 Posts

I am pretty savvy with the search function. Using 110 as a keyword search in Titles brought up 2 pages. Only 1 post referencing a "tapping" noise with the usual reply from a vendor trying to sell a product. This wasn't a tap, as I said, it was a BANG with the full force of a 5lb ball-peen hammer. Have you ever swung one full force?
I hear ya... Even though I've got a 103 w/cable clutch, this
has happened to me once. I am speculating that I didn't
have my clutch all the way in (or the plates were dragging a bit)
since I start it in-gear w/clutch in....

I put it in neutral w/clutch still in & starter cranked it fine... Dunno,
its only happened once. Isn't there some sort of recall on the
'S' hydraulic clutch ?

good luck,

T.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:09 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Clutch not pulled in...HMMM....I can see this happening. I could swear I was in neutral though because I was sitting in a red light. I had been sitting for a while before a shut the bike off, and I pretty much always shift it to neutral when I know I am going to be sitting for a while. The plates could have been dragging. I am going to look into a battery with more cranking amps, if there is such a thing.

There were 27,000+ bikes recalled for hydraulic clutch, but mine isn't one of them. Just checked the VIN against the HD safety recall page. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by gregeinsc; 03-24-2017 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Thanks for the suggestion
Old 03-24-2017, 12:52 PM
mpaquette
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

2017 Fatboy S, purchased in January. When I went to the dealer to get the bike I noticed they had it in the corner with a tender plugged in to the wall, but NOT plugged in to the bike. After a couple of weeks started to notice that the bike would hang in the morning when starting. It would make about one rotation, hang, two rotations, start. I figured "bad battery, I will change it when it gets worse". Not the first time I bought a new bike with a crap battery.

This morning, riding to work, got stuck BAD traffic; bike is cooking. So I turn it off during the red light. Light changes to green and I go to start it and these two things happened almost simultaneously:
1. Motor turns one rotation and hangs.
2. Loud bang in the primary as if it was struck full force with a ball-peen hammer.
Still holding the start button, and nothing is happening. Released the button and pressed it again, bike starts without issue.

This is my fourth Harley Davidson, third Twin Cam, and I swear this bike RUNS rougher than any other Twin Cam I have had or rode. I am planning on taking it in for a look, but i know damned well I am going to get told that "we couldn't recreate the issue, starts fine for us". So have any of you S 110 owners had any issues starting/cranking/running, anything? Thanks in advance for your input.
My 2006 XL1200C did the same thing and I never did figure out what it was. It's as if something was out of alignment when starting. Only happened when the engine was hot, never from a cold start. Hope you figure it out.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Gozo
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mofomojo,
Can you possibly post whee you picked up the trans. Cover, I have searched for it but none are like the one you have, and also the emblem on the tank... thanks..

Old 04-04-2017, 09:48 PM
grinner
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Back to the top...

New VH Pro Pipe with FP3.

Attached Thumbnails S-Series - Home Base-img_2263.jpg  

Quick Reply: S-Series - Home Base