Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Series - Home Base

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:06 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by Gozo
Mofomojo,
Can you possibly post whee you picked up the trans. Cover, I have searched for it but none are like the one you have, and also the emblem on the tank... thanks..

I realize you're new here. There is a 'search' function that you can
use to find all the posts from a particular user. I believe what you're
looking for is in this thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...l#post14555344

hth,

T.

The following users liked this post:
Gozo (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 07:19 AM
abadley
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by grinner
Back to the top...

New VH Pro Pipe with FP3.
Sweet! How do you like it?

Old 04-05-2017, 07:28 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

My Fat Boy 16S now has almost 25,000 miles.

Some of the things that have gone wrong: The headlight housing has blown. The right indicator and main beam indicator on the dash has failed at least 4 times always after exceptionally heavy rain or washing with too much water over the dash. The master cylinder needs replacing (front brake light is jamming on and cruise control is affected, the dealer has ordered the part). Ditto ignition switch is sticky also waiting for part. All warranty work. It had the clutch recall and replacement.

It will often start with an almighty bang and puff of smoke from the right side and it does not always like starting either from cold or hot. The first start is often a crap shoot, it might turn over and start or it might just turn over and start on the second attempt. I have changed the pipes to V & H with Thundermax but it was a hard start with the stock pipes anyway.

The wheels are a pain to keep clean and the wheel weights always fall off no matter how well they stick them on. I ride without most of the time because they've gone.

Other than that .... I still love my bike.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:10 AM
grinner
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by abadley
Sweet! How do you like it?
I Absolutely LOVE the Pro Pipe. I switched from stock to the VH Slip-ons and lost a huge amount of low-end torque. Apparently the cat converters in the stock mufflers were helpful in this regard. Very disappointing. Since I had already invested in the FP3 for the slip-ons, I decided to go with the Pro Pipe.

I ride with a passenger and she likes that the entire exhaust is underneath her peg (rather than under her leg).

I like that it extends at least to the rear wheel hub, so noise is sent behind us.

It sounds deep without being loud at idle. Sounds a lot like a muscle car rather than a crackly bike exhaust.

And the TQ is fantastic. Has quite a bit of usable power below 2k and starting around 2.3k it really pulls.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 380 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
My Fat Boy 16S now has almost 25,000 miles.

Some of the things that have gone wrong: The headlight housing has blown. The right indicator and main beam indicator on the dash has failed at least 4 times always after exceptionally heavy rain or washing with too much water over the dash. The master cylinder needs replacing (front brake light is jamming on and cruise control is affected, the dealer has ordered the part). Ditto ignition switch is sticky also waiting for part. All warranty work. It had the clutch recall and replacement.

It will often start with an almighty bang and puff of smoke from the right side and it does not always like starting either from cold or hot. The first start is often a crap shoot, it might turn over and start or it might just turn over and start on the second attempt. I have changed the pipes to V & H with Thundermax but it was a hard start with the stock pipes anyway.

The wheels are a pain to keep clean and the wheel weights always fall off no matter how well they stick them on. I ride without most of the time because they've gone.

Other than that .... I still love my bike.
That is a lot of stuff, in a short period of time. I hope my slim S fares better.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:51 AM
abadley
Road Captain

I Absolutely LOVE the Pro Pipe. I switched from stock to the VH Slip-ons and lost a huge amount of low-end torque. Apparently the cat converters in the stock mufflers were helpful in this regard. Very disappointing. Since I had already invested in the FP3 for the slip-ons, I decided to go with the Pro Pipe.

I ride with a passenger and she likes that the entire exhaust is underneath her peg (rather than under her leg).

I like that it extends at least to the rear wheel hub, so noise is sent behind us.

It sounds deep without being loud at idle. Sounds a lot like a muscle car rather than a crackly bike exhaust.

And the TQ is fantastic. Has quite a bit of usable power below 2k and starting around 2.3k it really pulls.
You may have sold me on it! I've been debating a 2-into-1 for awhile and concerned on it being to loud while I take long trips.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:19 PM
grinner
Tourer

You may have sold me on it! I've been debating a 2-into-1 for awhile and concerned on it being to loud while I take long trips.
I'll tell you this, I think the sound from the Pro Pipe is far less offensive than the VH Slip-Ons. Either option will be louder than stock, but unless you want a super-quiet exhaust, I really don't think you'll find it a problem. Also, the sound from the Pro Pipe doesn't have any annoying qualities. The slip-ons would pop and bark and generally be a bit raspy. There's none of that with the Pro Pipe. It rumbles at idle and it generally revs with volume in the low-to-mid-fequency ranges. It also doesn't seem to resonate or drone at a specific frequency. I haven't taken long trips with it yet, but I think it's a better behaved exhaust all-around than VH slip-ons. I don't find myself trying to manage noise with the throttle like I did with the slip-ons. For example, being careful not to rev and then snap the throttle closed to prevent popping. I can just ride and not worry about it with the Pro Pipe.

The TQ is also a big improvement. I'm picky and have zero complaints so far.

Also, the VH FP3 works great with it. Stock map plus setting throttle response to "moderate" is a great combo. I also set the decel popping to one (vs zero) just as added protection against popping. Good-to-go.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:31 PM
abadley
Road Captain

I'll tell you this, I think the sound from the Pro Pipe is far less offensive than the VH Slip-Ons. Either option will be louder than stock, but unless you want a super-quiet exhaust, I really don't think you'll find it a problem. Also, the sound from the Pro Pipe doesn't have any annoying qualities. The slip-ons would pop and bark and generally be a bit raspy. There's none of that with the Pro Pipe. It rumbles at idle and it generally revs with volume in the low-to-mid-fequency ranges. It also doesn't seem to resonate or drone at a specific frequency. I haven't taken long trips with it yet, but I think it's a better behaved exhaust all-around than VH slip-ons. I don't find myself trying to manage noise with the throttle like I did with the slip-ons. For example, being careful not to rev and then snap the throttle closed to prevent popping. I can just ride and not worry about it with the Pro Pipe.

The TQ is also a big improvement. I'm picky and have zero complaints so far.

Also, the VH FP3 works great with it. Stock map plus setting throttle response to "moderate" is a great combo. I also set the decel popping to one (vs zero) just as added protection against popping. Good-to-go.
I have the Screamin' Eagle street cannons on now and they have a nice exhaust note over the stock mufflers but I'm still looking for more sound plus performance. So... I think the Pro Pipe might be the ticket.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:40 PM
abadley
Road Captain

Back to the top...

New VH Pro Pipe with FP3.
If it's not too much to ask, could you post a pic of the side of your bike? I would like to see the pipe from the side.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:44 PM
grinner
Tourer

If it's not too much to ask, could you post a pic of the side of your bike? I would like to see the pipe from the side.
Sure. These are two I have now. Neither directly from the side, but maybe more helpful than just the single image above. I'll see what I can do to get you a direct side-shot in the coming days.

Attached Thumbnails S-Series - Home Base-img_2265.jpg   S-Series - Home Base-img_2267.jpg  

Quick Reply: S-Series - Home Base