Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch cable

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 04:50 PM
shackdaddy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch cable

Does anyone have any tips for changing the clutch cable on a 2012 fat boy? I'm changing my bars and had to get a longer clutch cable. However, I cannot get the thing to screw in. I've removed the cover and got the stock cable off fairly easily. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:05 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 218 Posts
Old 12-29-2015, 06:07 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Do you have your service manual handy?

Old 12-29-2015, 06:30 PM
shackdaddy
Cruiser

I hate that the first question everyone asks is if you have a service manual. Yes I do, and I was using it. However I didn't see anything about a special way to screw the cable in. I can run it through the inlet and was able to get it connected correctly. I just can't get the damn threads started.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:31 PM
shackdaddy
Cruiser

I've seen that video. But didn't see it mention anything special about the clutch cable.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:33 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Well for me, the easiest way to do the cable into the housing was to take the housing off and spin the housing on to the cable connector.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:36 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
Well for me, the easiest way to do the cable into the housing was to take the housing off and spin the housing on to the cable connector.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:59 PM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I've been doing a bit of research to get prepared to do this myself.

One thing I made note of that didn't appear in any one else's instructions I found here in instruction #6 (with a picture right above): http://hdbikeparts.com/PDF_FILES/Clutch%20cable.pdf

Perhaps you're trying to go in straight and need to be at the slight angle as shown in that pic. Just a shot in the dark from someone who hasn't done it yet, but I hope it helps!

Old 12-29-2015, 09:56 PM
shackdaddy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by QC
Thats what I was trying to do but the damn thing won't go on. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I even tried putting the stock one back in with no luck. It's a brand new side cover from hd because I decided to switch to the wrinkle black covers. I'm really at a loss here. The threads look good and everything seems right they just aren't going together.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:43 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

When I did mine, I spun the side cover onto the cable to get it started like others have written.

Have you tried your old cover to see if you can get it on the old cable and the new cable? Maybe then you'll get the hang of screwing it on where you know it worked before (the old cover and the old cable). Then try the new cable in the old cover.

It's possible the new side cover has bunged up or wrong threads from the factory. You can't fix wrong but you can fix bunged up. It's happened to me many times I get something with bunged up threads, most recently on Christmas day. I keep a tap and die set for this very reason (harbor freight but works great for this purpose) and I've always been able to chase the threads sometimes coming in from the backside) and get things squared. If you've got a tap and die set I'd recommend this as a next step.

Quick Reply: clutch cable