Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive ratio upgrade HOW TO: Belt Pulleys, Primary sprockets, improve TQ up to 13%

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 10:21 AM
Br125
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

The product claims to come with a plug and play harness, and if you search, you'll find pics on the plug that fits HD's. The only review that I can find relating to the install is this one:

"To install the wiring harness, you have to remove the starter which, after having done it a few times, is no big deal. After installation, I was only able to set a -5 on the box for the 6th gear indicator and cruise control to still work. This took care of most of my speedo inaccuracy so I am pleased with the purchase."

I'm not sure why the starter would have to be removed to install this since the plug that it uses is right under the seat. Also, not sure why people are concerned about the 6th gear indicator light. I don't have cruise, so that's not an issue for me.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:59 PM
tofer76
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks to me like the only thing holding me back from this is getting my speedo re-calibrated, and most of you have wider belts than my 20mm. ive got a 09 Softail Night Train. i already have the SERT (the one you cant get anymore)

Old 01-20-2017, 08:03 PM
tofer76
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tofer76
looks to me like the only thing holding me back from this is getting my speedo re-calibrated, and most of you have wider belts than my 20mm. ive got a 09 Softail Night Train. i already have the SERT (the one you cant get anymore)
unless anyone has figured out a solution

Old 01-20-2017, 09:05 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

But with iut a VSS cakibration. Tripometer will not read correctly

Old 01-20-2017, 10:02 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 191 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
But with iut a VSS cakibration. Tripometer will not read correctly
Actually the VSS adjustment (via the bike's computer) does correct the speedo and the odometer. Do you mean with just a VSS external compensation device, versus an actual VSS adjustment, your odometer does not get corrected along with the speedo? That's not good.

Jim G

Old 01-21-2017, 03:04 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

I guess (!) if the device would work as assumed it would correct the pulse count signal coming from the VSS before it gets to the ECM. In this case it's in fact as you stated Jim, the odometer reading should be corrected same as the speed reading as they both refer to the same base signal.

If I was more into wrenching and my bike wasn't still under warranty I would risk being the guinea pig and try the SpeedoHealer. Especially as the money they call for it is not that much of an investment.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:40 PM
bolt54
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default joining the drive ratio upgrade club :)

I just did the 30/70 upgrade on my scoot. I used an HD 70 tooth pulley from an 06 Night Train, this pulley worked for me because of the 20mm belt. The only difference on the pulley was that my stock one was .500" in thicker. I purchased a spacer from Drag but it really fit poorly, no way to be sure the wheel was centered. I had a local machinist make me one that would center the wheel and fit better, cost me $30, well worth it. I used my PV to correct the speedo (verified with gps) but the odometer seems like it is off so I'll have to pay attention to that when I start riding again.

Drive ratio upgrade HOW TO: Belt Pulleys, Primary sprockets, improve TQ up to 13%-cam00365.jpg

Drive ratio upgrade HOW TO: Belt Pulleys, Primary sprockets, improve TQ up to 13%-cam00364.jpg

These are the pics of the machined spacer and then both spacers next to each other.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:44 PM
Dave0176
Tourer
Received 176 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bolt54
I just did the 30/70 upgrade on my scoot. I used an HD 70 tooth pulley from an 06 Night Train, this pulley worked for me because of the 20mm belt. The only difference on the pulley was that my stock one was .500" in thicker. I purchased a spacer from Drag but it really fit poorly, no way to be sure the wheel was centered. I had a local machinist make me one that would center the wheel and fit better, cost me $30, well worth it. I used my PV to correct the speedo (verified with gps) but the odometer seems like it is off so I'll have to pay attention to that when I start riding again.

Attachment 497011

Attachment 497012

These are the pics of the machined spacer and then both spacers next to each other.
@bolt54 what did you do about the belt guards??

Old 01-24-2017, 04:05 AM
bodgie1307
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Heal tech says The speedo healer shuts off the gear indicator display and 6th gear light as do all of the correction modules..has to do with how the ecm calculates gear display..
There is no mech switch..the ect calculates via inputs as to what gear your in..
The only way it will work is to modify vss directly..

Old 01-24-2017, 04:05 AM
bodgie1307
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Heal tech says The speedo healer shuts off the gear indicator display and 6th gear light as do all of the correction modules..has to do with how the ecm calculates gear display..
There is no mech switch..the ect calculates via inputs as to what gear your in..
The only way it will work is to modify vss directly..

Quick Reply: Drive ratio upgrade HOW TO: Belt Pulleys, Primary sprockets, improve TQ up to 13%