Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Question for softail slim

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 07:37 AM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Windshield Question for softail slim

Hi folks,
I from the Dyna side and now the sportster side as well. I've adapted a softail front end to my Street bob and run the softail light bar and the windshield comes on and off as I please with stock grommets and softail hardware.

I'm currently adapting a softail slim front end to my wifes sportster-without the auxiliary light bar. To run the softail wind shield, do I have to space the grommets out as far as the bikes with the auxiliary bar or can I mount them in tight with enough flex for the OE windshield brackets to keep things in close?
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:36 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Nice swap on he sporty

Old 02-12-2016, 11:25 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't count on flex.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Berick
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

+1 on what mdm said.... there is some flex but not too much. Putting my windshield on with my Nacelle is a challenge. It's not as easy as it looks by any means. Very tight fit.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:55 PM
fskitch
Road Master

Thanks guys.
Berick, I was looking through your album and I can see the hardware and grommets on the side of your trees. They sit in pretty tight-closer than on my Dyna with the auxiliary light bar. With the nacelle I bet the light cut out on your shield is pretty tight. Did you consider RK plastic on your softail brackets? The holes in the shield line right up.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:08 PM
Berick
Tourer

Originally Posted by fskitch
Thanks guys.
Berick, I was looking through your album and I can see the hardware and grommets on the side of your trees. They sit in pretty tight-closer than on my Dyna with the auxiliary light bar. With the nacelle I bet the light cut out on your shield is pretty tight. Did you consider RK plastic on your softail brackets? The holes in the shield line right up.
The windshield I have is the Roadking shield from Long Ride Shields. The HD brackets are the same as far as mounting locations to the windshield goes. LRS also makes windshields that don't come down quite as low if you're running the auxillary lighting bar.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:07 AM
fskitch
Road Master

I think- after after viewing some more softail pictures and reading descriptions on eBay and Harley-they actually make windshields for bikes with no light bars. I'm thinking maybe longer like you say, Berick, but I'm hoping the non light bar compliant have tighter spacing between attachment brackets. It looks like yours and some of the other bikes attachment grommets would have to sick out about another ½" on each side of the trees to work with the shields made for light bars.
The softail front-and road king I guess- whether nacelle or hydra glide style are the best looking in my opinion. I think all Harley's should come with these type front ends. Just MHO. It really transformed my wifes sportster.
Do you softail guys approve?

Old 02-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Berick
Tourer

I'm a fan of the beefy front ends fo sure!

Old 02-14-2016, 01:51 PM
fskitch
Road Master

Berick-I was at the Dealership in my area the other day and mentioned to the sales person that- I was in the middle of adapting an FL front end to my wifes sporty. He politely asked me "Why would you want do that?" I ask why doesn't harley put harley front ends on all their bikes. I"m not the first to come up with this- there's lots of "Fatsters". I just think the slim front fender flows well with the smaller bike. Harley has the FLD dyna Switchback. Maybe marketing and research will get some ideas from my bike. Introducing the 2017 FLX! I don't know....maybe no market for it.