Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a tuner be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:37 PM
I'm not lost!
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a tuner be replaced?

I recently purchased a new set of V&H Softail duals and Fuelpak 3. I did so with the understanding that the SEPST currently installed would not be a problem and that, if de-tuned to original specs, the FP3 would work without issue. Has anyone else done this or have I painted myself into a corner here?

I should note that the purpose of purchasing the FP3 was to avoid having to pay $800 Harley wanted for the Dyno. FP3 was half of that. (Don't laugh too hard as that savings was going towards new bags, lol.)

Last edited by I'm not lost!; 05-02-2016 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:44 PM
Aogmitch
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Will work fine. The FP3 will save what is currently in the bike.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:08 AM
I'm not lost!
Stage III

I've been sweating it. Bike came new in 2011 with the sepst and d&d lowcat's. Sounds great but it's time for change. I prefer the true dual look with the fishtails. Besides, the d&d's were cooking my bags. Didn't have clearance.

My new toys should be here in about a week. I've always dealer maintained but want to learn more diy stuff. Mechanic by trade but mostly Heavy Equipment and oddball stuff. Motorcycle maintenance is quite a bit different.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:33 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by I'm not lost!
Mechanic by trade but mostly Heavy Equipment and oddball stuff. Motorcycle maintenance is quite a bit different.
It's all nuts and bolts. Get yourself a factory service manual, they are well worth the money. These machines are not that technical. You have a great data base right here at your fingertips, learn to use the search function and if you can't find what you're looking for just ask. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience right here.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:55 PM
gchristopher9
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

My advice would have been to utilize the SEPST and find someone else to dyno it for a more reasonable cost. I had mine done recently at a local shop that builds some badass harley motors and it only cost me $200. $800 just for a dyno tune is awfully rapey.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:09 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by gchristopher9
My advice would have been to utilize the SEPST and find someone else to dyno it for a more reasonable cost. I had mine done recently at a local shop that builds some badass harley motors and it only cost me $200. $800 just for a dyno tune is awfully rapey.
Have to agree, The SEPST will accomplish the same thing. It's just more cumbersome to use because you have to use a laptop. I had my stage one running pretty sweet with just a few "Smart Tune" runs. If you have the VCI cables can be bought for less than $50.

Last edited by Fat11Lo; 05-03-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:22 PM
gpp
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure you have the can bus wiring on it for the fp3.like fat11low said,get a shop manual and go to work on it.you may need a few special tools but being a mechanic I'm sure you understand that.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:38 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

imo the Pst is one of the best tuners If tuned by a good tuner. Also I'd think do your mods and If you need a new dyno.. that the cost of a TWEEK would/should be 1/2 of what you paid for the FP-3 and again IMO the FP=3 is not nearly as good at the SE - pro tuner...

just me

I've Had my Old style SERT (07 tuner) for 9yrs now, without my bike needing a retune and It had done me a done a Great job since day, 1, Never had a Issue with it and IMO it's been one of the best tuners even made VS now-a-day tuners even though it had been obsolete to today's stuff..

Old 05-03-2016, 10:25 PM
I'm not lost!
Stage III

I appreciate the input, everyones, thank you!

I spoke to a V&H rep today. Simple fix. Install my new V&H Softail Duals. Have the dealer flash back to original specs. Plug the fp3 in and flash from my phone in the parking lot. Run autotune for the ride home and allow it to make corrections. Proceed to scaring the crap out of little old ladies playing with their cell phones at traffic lights. The last part is optional.

I know my choice isn't for everyone but I am a bit of a control freak would like to be in control of the tune. Besides, fp3 has some features that I couldn't possibly get with my old super tuner pro like the ability monitor a wide range of information while riding. One example is engine temp which is kind of an important bit of info here in the Vegas desert. It's all done via bluetooth and with my phone mounted on the handlebars, it's like having a butt load of additional gauges. Perfect for those obsessed with the need for too much information.

I'll be sure to follow up if it works. If not, well, I'll be eating crow in the waiting room at Harley...

Old 05-04-2016, 03:35 AM
Aogmitch
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Not sure why he would recommend taking it back to the dealer. Bought my bike used with pipes, intake installed already and some type of programming, ran pretty good with slight decel pop, but not bad. Bought FP3 and loaded it up. Runs better now, and the original map is still in the FP3.

Quick Reply: Can a tuner be replaced?