Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VANCE & HINES TRUE DUAL FISHTAILS TIP

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:00 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default VANCE & HINES TRUE DUAL FISHTAILS TIP

If you are buying a set of vance & Hines true duals and plan on putting on fishtails do this when you put on the heat shields take of the end cap and make sure the hole for the fish tales bolt is dead on six o clock the other hole will then be at nine these two positions will hide the screws that hold the tails in position but more important the tails will be straight when you go to put them on if you do not watch this position you will have to go back and loosen the heat shild and move it to this position not a big deal but if you do it on the install of the pipes it will only take you a few minutes to put the tails on when you get them guess how i know installed mine today had to loosen the heat shield and turn them to the correct position

[IMG]local://upfiles/15715/E46C1D9BC6A64206B1C81E2F062D6620.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-18-2007, 05:39 AM
moggsy
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: VANCE & HINES TRUE DUAL FISHTAILS TIP

Will go and check mine.Just took the heat shield off to put the quiet baffles in but STILL waiting on the fishtails.Was wondering why there were 2 holes,now i know.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:40 AM
csauer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nikonf8,
Been checking out your scoot for a while, but I just now noticed the internal wiring on your bars. Can you tell me which handle bar you went with? Bike looks good. Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21534/1F3DE4C3C59E4F03868305D153022031.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-20-2007, 12:46 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

csauer I had the stock bars chromed and all wires placed internal. stock bars kind of have a brown tint to them i think they are nickel plated. i bought a new pair and had them chromed i still have the take offs which i was going to list on e bay good if you do not want any down time had them chromed and then made the change . I am very happy with the stock bars fit me to a tee

Old 05-20-2007, 07:41 AM
csauer
Advanced

Thanks Nikonf8. Yes, the stock bars fit me real good also (and have the same tint to them), I just wasn't aware you could internally wire the stock bars.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21534/54849C4897CD42879256E6CECC1FE95F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Dunk 2
Cruiser

Thanks for the advice Nikon. Still waiting on the fishtails[:@].

Old 05-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Luxe
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

THe OEM bars are stainless steel, that is why they have the golden nickel coloring, rather than chrome. I too liked the fit of the stock bars, but I wanted to internally wire the bars, wanted chrome & was also interested in a thicker bar. I went with Cycle Smith 1 1/4" Knuckle bars. Very similar profile to the stock bars, but wider by approx 5". I mounted them in the stock risers. They are great.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:53 PM
csauer
Advanced

Luxe,
I am assuming you had to extend the wires; did you buy one of the extension kits from J&P also? Thanks. Also, I saw on some of your earlier posts you were going to get rid of the Roadhouse exhaust - any new pics yet?

[IMG]local://upfiles/21534/3A4E4D612BF24F57BFCB4DEA2DBF66D3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Luxe
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the V&H dual set up & thew fish tail tips but I won't be installing them until this coming winter. At that point I will be welding in an O2 sensor bung & having the head pipes ceramic coated. I will run the Road house pipe until then. As for the wiring, I bought pins & plugs from J&P & made a set of plug in extensions to extend the wiring.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:53 PM
badevo
Novice

I just ordered the Vance and Hines true duals, but I didn't get the fishtails. Love the nostalgic look on the deluxe, and I have a 2007 deluxe but I went with another tip. I am wondering if the heat on the pipes will be less with the true duals? I can barely stand being at a stop light because of the heat from the pipes on the 07 and summer in FL can be killer. I've heard that there is a shield that you can put on the side to protect the thigh? I'mnotmechanical so I don't really understand the "ceramic" coating" under the heat shield???..........

Quick Reply: VANCE & HINES TRUE DUAL FISHTAILS TIP