Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail battery life.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 09:13 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, I know if I continue to go on with this battery that sooner or later I am going to get burnt. If I decide to leave town, consistently, its going to get changed out. As long as I stay in town I am going to keep the stock battery in it and see how it goes. I have a new battery waiting and I also have a bike trailer so if it poops out on me it is not going to be a big thing to have someone bring me my battery or fetch the trailer. As soon as I start venturing out, leaving town, I will replace it then. Since I put it on my trickle charger and rode it, Its been lighting off like always. I will be the 1st to admit, that 10 years is almost unheard of with any battery and to top it off my motor is high compression.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:56 AM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 244 Posts

I was a battery tech for 4 years for Delco, anything over 3 years is a bonus when it comes to motorcycle batteries, they start degrading from day one and climate plays a major role in that. The hotter the climate, the faster they will degrade.
Also the longer they sit not fully charged, the faster they will sulfate and lose capacity.
The bike will start and run with as little 1/8 capacity in it, once its running, the bikes charging system keeps it going. But it does overwork the system. But leave your lights on for 10 minutes, and that capacity is gone pretty quick. Its always best to change out any batttery that has given you problems. They will not heal, only give you a false feeling that its ok until it leaves you stranded, or overworks your charging system and fries something there.

The following users liked this post:
HKMark23 (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 09:19 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I sure don't want to cause myself any undue headaches so maybe I will change it out after all. Since I threw the tender on it, it has been doing just fine but I am not a battery tech either and I will take your word for it and change it out soon.

I still cant believe over 10 years on a battery!!!