Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing from D402 to American Elite

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 11:52 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Changing from D402 to American Elite

So, it was time to replace the tires on my 2001 Heritage Springer.

I have always used the Dunlop D402 MT90B16WWW on the front and the D402 MU85B16WWW on the rear. I decided to try out the new(er) design of the Dunlop American Elite WWW (in the same sizes) for my bike.

I got a really good price from Rocky Mountain ATV (no affiliation) and a $40 rebate from Dunlop. After the rebate, my total cost was $300 delivered. Fair, I think.

I took the wheels off the bike and brought them to the local indy for mount and balance. Hopefully I'll get them back quickly, he is busy.

The dealer wanted $800 for new tires, including mount and balance, installed. For $340 ($40 to mount and balance the tires) my bike will have new shoes. Crazy dealer prices!!

Anyways, as soon as I get a couple of hundred miles on the new tires, I'll report back on how they work out.

I'm hoping the new tire design will wear a bit better and have improved handling. I wasn't dissatisfied with the D402, but I thought I'd try to take advantage of the improved tire design and technology that has occurred since the advent of the D402.

Anyone have any experience with doing this model tire swap?

Ride safe!

Last edited by SprungDave; 05-26-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:46 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Plenty of experience, and a great upgrade. These tires will get you 50%-75% more mileage than the 402's, and they have pretty decent grip for a cruiser tire. I am confident that you will not be disappointed with the change.

The following users liked this post:
Bone Doc (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 07:13 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
Plenty of experience, and a great upgrade. These tires will get you 50%-75% more mileage than the 402's, and they have pretty decent grip for a cruiser tire. I am confident that you will not be disappointed with the change.
Thanks for the feedback.

I use the same size tires on my Heritage as SprungDave and I currently have the D402s. I will need new tires in 6-12 months. I've been comparing the D402 and the American Elites. I think I'll switch to the American Elites with my next tire change. I've been satisfied with the D402s but I've only averaged 6000-7000 miles on the rear tire. I've looked at other brands but not everyone makes WWW.

I'm interested in Dave's experience with the American Elites as well.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:06 AM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Great tires! I run them on my Fat boy, they stick like no ones business in the canyons and they ride great on the super slab. That's a great price on those things, to bad they aren't that cheap for my sizes or I would get a spare set!

Old 05-27-2016, 11:10 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

So I installed the set and went for a ride today. Wow, they are a real improvement! My stock tires were worn, and I am sure that partly explains the noticeable improvement, but the bike rides smoother than I ever remember it riding.

I want to put some more miles on them to make my final judgement, but so far I am very pleased.

Ride safe!

Old 05-28-2016, 07:38 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

I like the way they work also, I have about 2000 I think on one...

Old 05-28-2016, 05:16 PM
swifty
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 40 Posts

Hay Dave, I started a post about www tires I was going with the dunlops but was thinking about the elites ... My question to you is how do the www LOOK compared to the www dunlops. Do the elites still give off that old time classic www tire like the Dunlop does .... TIA swifty

Old 05-28-2016, 06:25 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by swifty
Hay Dave, I started a post about www tires I was going with the dunlops but was thinking about the elites ... My question to you is how do the www LOOK compared to the www dunlops. Do the elites still give off that old time classic www tire like the Dunlop does .... TIA swifty
Dave's post is about the Dunlop American Elite tires. Your thread is about the Dunlop Elite 3 tires. They aren't the same tire.

Your question, "Do the elites still give off that old time classic www tire like the Dunlop does", suggests that the Elite (whether American Elite or Elite 3) is not a Dunlop. The D402, American Elite and Elite 3 are all Dunlops. When you say Dunlop, do you mean the D402 tire?

Old 05-28-2016, 09:10 PM
swifty
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes!!!! That is what I'm trying to say, I like the look of the 402's. But I keep reading on this forum that the elites and the elite 3 now I'm reading that there is a elite 4. Are better handling tires. The problem is the shops around here don't stock them so I could see the difference.. They will order the tire!!!
When you walk into a dealership and see a deluxe. Those tires just say old school.. That is what I am after.. When I saw the metzeler www . It just didn't look like the 402www.. It looked like the white wall was a little shorter {not as wide}. swifty

Old 05-28-2016, 09:40 PM
Rick's Ultra
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

I have been running the American Elites on my ultra ever since the stock tires wore out. I have 65000 miles on my ultra and really like the AE's. Nice and sticky on the edges and long wearing in the center. I think you will be very please with the milage you get out of them. I get about 18000 miles on my rear tire.

Quick Reply: Changing from D402 to American Elite