Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help finding 12 volt accessory connector

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 04:55 AM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Help finding 12 volt accessory connector

In the Directions for the 'Handlebar Mount Auxiliary Power Port', in step 9, it says to 'Locate the accessory connector. See Table 1 and Figure 2.' Table 1 says the connector is located under the left side cover. Figure 2 shows a picture of a Sporty or Dresser style side cover. The only port I can find that looks like this one is the CanBus connector under the seat. It currently has my FP3 plugged in (I'm doing another autotune session).

Here's the Instructions

Is the connector under the seat the one they're talking about?

The reason I am trying to find this port is so I can find a 12 volt switched circuit that won't kick back any codes when I hook up my auxiliary (non-CanBus compatible bulbs) without throwing any codes. I tried going into the auxiliary lights port and it throws a code for low or shorted passing lamps.

Currently they're hooked straight to the battery (with a fuse). So, if I forget to turn them off, like I did the other day, they drain my battery down. Luckily, I was home when the bike wouldn't quite start.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:52 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,005 Likes on 497 Posts

Sounds like they messed up the instructions. The only connector I've found is the one you mentioned under the seat. I used it for my better half's heated seat plug. IIRC I had to switch one of the pins on the heater side because the CANBUS plug has one hot wire off the battery and one off the ignition switch.

The following users liked this post:
Axis39 (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 03:35 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Only some bikes have the accessory connector. If you really want to you can buy the connection from HD.

The following users liked this post:
Axis39 (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 07:05 PM
Axis39
Road Captain

Originally Posted by _Gir_
Only some bikes have the accessory connector. If you really want to you can buy the connection from HD.
Any clue where it would plug in?

Old 07-24-2016, 03:45 AM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Get a fused SAE cable, connect it to the battery, and you get adapters to lug in lots of stuff as needed. I use mine to maintain the charge of my battery, put a 12v power port on it and charge my iPhone, and use the power port to charge my headset. In the winter I plug in my gloves, as can be done with logs of heated clothing. It's very easy to do.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:51 AM
Axis39
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ctwith3
Get a fused SAE cable, connect it to the battery, and you get adapters to lug in lots of stuff as needed. I use mine to maintain the charge of my battery, put a 12v power port on it and charge my iPhone, and use the power port to charge my headset. In the winter I plug in my gloves, as can be done with logs of heated clothing. It's very easy to do.
I do already have one attached. I also have the Battery Tender USB plug in adapter for charging my phone.

And currently, the passing lamps are attached to the battery with a different fused connection... But, with power to them all the time, if I forget to turn them off (like I did a couple days ago) my battery drains down and the bike won't start.

What I need is a switched 12 volt source for my passing lamps that won't upset my CanBus and throw a code. Every time it does, it messes with my fuel level sender and tells me I have a low range.... It's annoying at best.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:31 PM
j_bee
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts
Old 07-24-2016, 06:19 PM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You have your passing lamps connected directly to battery? First, which Softail do you have? I used the accseeory plug on the left side of my fork for my passing lamps. There should be an accessory plug under your gas tank, and there is supposedly another accessory plug under the fuse box by the battery.
Do you have a service manual?

Old 07-25-2016, 05:40 AM
Axis39
Road Captain

I have a '14 Slim. The bulbs I have are NOT Canbus compatible. Which means, by plugging into the auxiliary spade connector behind the headlight, by the fork stem, I get an error that the passing light is shorted low. So, then I tried connecting it to the Fender Tip light connecter at the end of the headlight loom and got an error saying that the running lamps are shorted low.

(And, yes, I did contact the seller who had these lights listed as compatible with my bike... and have not heard back after one reply asking what bike I had)

I want to use these bulbs because they have the option of angel eyes to go along with the (very bright) main LED bulbs. I may be hosed and have to get some regular passing lamp bulbs that actually WILL work with the CanBus BCM.

Yes, I have a factory service manual. Yes, I've looked for this mythical 12 volt accessory port in the manual. No I've not found it. When I read about the 12 volt power port, or whatever the dang thing is called, I got excited that I might be able to find a switched circuit to jumper onto. I was really confused when it said it was under the left side cover! I didn't think any Softail has a side cover.... But, it seems my fears are realized, I'm already using it for my FP3 (not that I can't unplug it). So, now I need to figure out if i can tap one of these wires, or if i need to buy a matching connector and figure out the pin out.

So, unless I can find a 12 volt switched circuit, I am stuck.... All in all, probably would have been a lot less frustrating to buy boring old passing bulbs... LOL

Old 07-25-2016, 07:15 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Axis39
I do already have one attached. I also have the Battery Tender USB plug in adapter for charging my phone.

And currently, the passing lamps are attached to the battery with a different fused connection... But, with power to them all the time, if I forget to turn them off (like I did a couple days ago) my battery drains down and the bike won't start.

What I need is a switched 12 volt source for my passing lamps that won't upset my CanBus and throw a code. Every time it does, it messes with my fuel level sender and tells me I have a low range.... It's annoying at best.
Why don't you wire the passing lamps like the Heritage models? Just read the schematics to see how it is done properly.

Quick Reply: Help finding 12 volt accessory connector