Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know what this is?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 08:43 AM
VWNESTA
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=PeterV;15544148]Throttle lock used only on carbed bikes,

Your joking right? What makes you say that? My 12 deluxe has one, use it all of the time on highway, really not a pain at all, works well on flat Florida highways.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:18 AM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My 13 has it, I only use it to adjust the slack in the throttle cable. Cruise control? Maybe if you are on flat land, but extremely dangerous.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:20 AM
PeterV
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

Well, there goes my theory...

Old 09-26-2016, 09:46 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by eichacsj
My 13 has it, I only use it to adjust the slack in the throttle cable. Cruise control? Maybe if you are on flat land, but extremely dangerous.
"Adjust the slack in the throttle cable" ?? No way will it adjust slack. The 'throttle tensioner,[it's not a throttle lock] is used to 'help' hold the throttle open.Tighten it just enough to let your wrist and hand relax,instead of the constant pressure on your hand and wrist.-Really makes a difference on a 1000 mile ride.
Also helps a lot on rough ground,or rough road,to help hold the throttle steady,rather than bouncing up and down,as you try to steady your speed.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:55 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

It's a throttle lock or another way of saying it, it's a poor mans cruise control..

Old 09-26-2016, 11:01 AM
rquest
Road Master
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown
sometimes when questions are ask like this one, I think maybe you should not be working on your own bike.
Seems like a lot of us need to go back to school, haha... Actually I've been building bikes since 1969. I built my 1st Triumph with Ron Finch. I recently built a Yamaha 1700 Warrior show bike (which has won 2nd place in 3 shows) and in my Avitor you'll see a XLCR-clone that I built from a bucket of bolts. Then there were 2 Honda's, but this '07 Night Train has a lot of stuff that is new to me and there is a wealth of knowledge on this board. I thank everyone that has replied to my question, well...except maybe one, LOL These pics are in order and show all the bikes I have built with exception of a '75 Honda Cafe when everyone thought they were ugly but I don't have a picture of it.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone know what this is?-tri.jpg   Anyone know what this is?-honda.jpg   Anyone know what this is?-450-honda.jpg   Anyone know what this is?-war-dawg.jpg   Anyone know what this is?-greenie.jpg  

Last edited by rquest; 09-26-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:13 AM
rquest
Road Master
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
If your brake light is on, that little button might not be getting pushed in the lever released position. People screw that up all the time after messing with their levers and controls. In the factory service manual, it even talks about using a piece of cardboard to hold it pressed in while working on the controls.

Check out ronnie's microfiche for a breakdown of it.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc
Thanks, I did know there is an adjustment, that's why I was asking if the **** adjusted that switch, but I do appreciate your links and your description of putting the cardboard in it. But as for the back switch, I don't seem to see a wire coming from the back M/C, is this a hydrolic switch? (again, this bike was torn down when I bought it and most of the electrical stuff was missing)

Last edited by rquest; 09-26-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:38 PM
Mighty_Mickey
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

thats not true, it's also on fuel injected biked such as my 2012 FLSTC

Old 09-26-2016, 09:54 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,175 Likes on 6,218 Posts

Originally Posted by rquest
Thanks, I did know there is an adjustment, that's why I was asking if the **** adjusted that switch, but I do appreciate your links and your description of putting the cardboard in it. But as for the back switch, I don't seem to see a wire coming from the back M/C, is this a hydrolic switch? (again, this bike was torn down when I bought it and most of the electrical stuff was missing)
In my old 95 Heritage, the rear brake light switch is hydraulic. The front is the little push button thing that is housed in the switch clamps on the handlebars.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:38 AM
Bamjoop
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I thought the first post was a joke. I was a Honda guy forever and even I know the history and purpose of the throttle lock.
It is true, that it was originally meant to be used with carb bikes to help warm them up. Not quite the same as a choke, but a way to speed up the idle during the warm up process.
But of course many riders would use them as a cruise control or at least a way to keep rolling and give your right hand a rest. So even when Harley began producing fuel injected bikes where the device was no longer needed the company decided to keep it knowing that loyal Harley riders were using it for this purpose for years and would not like it being deleted from the bike.

Quick Reply: Anyone know what this is?