Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know what this is?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 11:40 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,622 Likes on 9,825 Posts

Originally Posted by stoneybagger
buddy has one, i use it as a throttle adjuster only. the more you screw in the star screw, the harder the throttle becomes to twist.

in my experience,
this adjuster sucks for cruise control. it a pain to adjust while not moving, really sucks trying to adjust while riding the motorcycle.

use your thumb to back it off while riding

Old 09-27-2016, 02:57 PM
rquest
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
use your thumb to back it off while riding
Wow, I got a lot of replies for this stupid question, thanks everyone! This does appear to be something that could be really dangerous and I doubt I'll be using it unless I'm on a really long haul and my wrist is killing me, haha. Guess I'll have to tear the brake lever assembly apart to see if the button is not closing.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:13 AM
rquest
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
If your brake light is on, that little button might not be getting pushed in the lever released position. People screw that up all the time after messing with their levers and controls. In the factory service manual, it even talks about using a piece of cardboard to hold it pressed in while working on the controls.

Check out ronnie's microfiche for a breakdown of it.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc

Stoney, the star wheel is not an add on. It is OEM and has been on bikes for a long time. I remember my three wheeler I had in the 80's even had one. I agree it sucks.
Got my electrical worked out and I guess Prot gets the prize. It''s a bitch repairing someone else"s frankenstien, why people cut this stuff off amazes me. #1 The brake and blinkers were cut off before the connectors so I had to find the correct wires inside the harness. #2 The rear brake had no pressure so the switch wouldn't work and #3 YES, the button on the front brake wasn't compressing, seems the M/C was tightened just about a quarter of an inch to high so I wasn't able to snug up the throttle enough to activate the switch. This took me 3 days (2 or 3 hrs a day) to figure it out but now I'm pleased. LOL. See you guys on the road very soon!

Old 09-29-2016, 07:51 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,667 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Were you born ASE certified with a torque wrench in your hand?
Just saying, I do build bikes and fix them all the time. Yes I get over my haed at times thats when I get help. That said at the present time I have a 1978 FLH anniversary edition I am restoring for a friend who should have let someone else to his work for him. Spending lots of time fixing stupid **** like re taping threads were he forced bolts in, run wires wrong and so one. So that said he listened to all the talk fingered he could do it went home and screwed it up. Some people just will never get it, most think they are maniacally inclined but they are not. Thats ok Im not good at book work, not picking on the guy we all have our skills. Answer to your Question my Dad had me working on things at about three years old. At 3 I went out remover the spark plugs in his 48 Lincoln and throw away, he got a kick out of that, think I got just got the kick. Always loved to tinker.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:33 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,709 Likes on 1,993 Posts

I use the throttle lock to put a bit of drag on the throttle sleeve to counteract the pull of the throttle return springs. It really helps reduce hand fatigue on long rides.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:35 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 420 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown
Just saying, I do build bikes and fix them all the time. Yes I get over my haed at times thats when I get help. That said at the present time I have a 1978 FLH anniversary edition I am restoring for a friend who should have let someone else to his work for him. Spending lots of time fixing stupid **** like re taping threads were he forced bolts in, run wires wrong and so one. So that said he listened to all the talk fingered he could do it went home and screwed it up. Some people just will never get it, most think they are maniacally inclined but they are not. Thats ok Im not good at book work, not picking on the guy we all have our skills. Answer to your Question my Dad had me working on things at about three years old. At 3 I went out remover the spark plugs in his 48 Lincoln and throw away, he got a kick out of that, think I got just got the kick. Always loved to tinker.
I know it's just a typo,but I like"maniacally inclined" !!!