Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold Touring bike, Looking for Softail - Input wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 12:47 PM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

You have to know what your "must haves" and your "don't wants" on you prospective new bike, car, girlfriend, etc. This will help you find "keepers" and to stop throwing money away buying and trading on impulse not knowing what you really want.
For example, on street motorcycles I have to have ABS brakes, cruise control.
Don't want, wire wheels with tubes inside. Leather saddlebags.
Like the seating position and the handle bars on the new Heritages, but don't want wire wheels, and the leather saddle bags. Maybe look closer at the Roadkings.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 10-21-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:43 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

You can make ANY Harley into a bagger if you need to. I only use my bags for weekend trips and the tour pack if it's a week long trip 2-up. I strip her down once we get to our destination to have that sexy bar-hopper look. Then, load it back up within minutes and ride home.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:52 PM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 380 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Fake rigids aren't sexy... It dosent handle better so what is the better part?
Looks, looks, looks, and looks!

Old 10-21-2016, 02:02 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went from a street glide to my fatboy s. I am very happy with my decision

The following users liked this post:
DresserDude (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 03:25 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 941 Posts

I have thought of moving to a road king but my fat boy just fits me so right

The following users liked this post:
DresserDude (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 04:29 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Why not go the dyna route? I'd take conventional shocks any day. Handles better too. More in common with the touring platform. Throw a windshield and saddle bags on for touring. Strip it down for local and around town. Just a thought..
I did consider the switchback..... haven't test ridden one yet though.

Originally Posted by hattitude
I progressed from shovel head FXS bikes to a Heritage in 1989. I made the change for a little better comfort on long rides. The floorboards, FLH style front end, and removable windshield. I bought another Heritage in 2003...

Between the two, I have taken many long rides, and more than a few multi-day trips.

In 2012 I got an Ultra Limited, and was going to sell the '03 Heritage. I couldn't do it... totally different feel than the Limited... different bike altogether...

I have them both.... I mostly ride the Heritage around town, and day rides. The Limited gets ridden around town too, but mostly long range, multi-day rides with the wife....

However......The Heritage is capable of doing all the Limited can do, just a different feel/comfort factor... No radio, a little more wind (but I have an LRS recurve that works great), different feel/riding position, shocks not as good (shocks can be upgraded but so did my Limited shocks), and you'll have to configure your luggage differently on a truly long trip..

Even though you're used to baggers, I think you would have no problem changing to a Heritage.....
Yes, definitely want footboards. All I do is get distracted and channel surf when I have a Batwing bike. I will miss my lower fairings a bit, but oh well.

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
Because the man finally has gotten a taste of a better platform, a sexy platform.....
Ha!

Originally Posted by Benito
I too switched from several touring platforms to a Softail & a Dyna.

I just got tired of moving 900 plus pounds of motorcycles within my garage. I now move two bikes about my garage without any issues. See attached photo. I can move both bikes about my garage with relative ease. It was much more cumbersome when I had to move my baggers.

I set up my two bikes with bags & W/Ss and I could not be happier. The lighter bikes handle well and are much quicker too. I say, pick your Softail you love and farkle it up for comfort...

Go for it. You'll love it.

Cheers & GL,

B
Thanks B! I do like the Fatboy. Not sure about the solid wheels, but I could get along with one. Just have to add windshield and bags. Nice looking rides.

Originally Posted by firefour
I traded in my 2014 Ultra Limited for a 2015 Heritage Softail Classic and couldn't be happier!!! I changed the seat and installed a Mustang seat with rider backrest and a wider passenger seat. My wife and I love it and it also made a world of difference in comfort. I love the classic look of the Heritage. It rides nice, handles great and is a pleasure to ride. After riding the Ultra Limited I would come home and feel like I just came home from work. It was a top heavy bike and heavy weight wise also. I have been riding over 40 years and am now 63. Can't say enough about my Heritage.
I change seats too. All my touring bikes had Sundowner seats on them. I'm sure I'd like the Heritage.

Originally Posted by Frostbite
I'm looking at garage queens all the time. Found a blue and white 2010 softail deluxe with only 2500 miles on it. Honda dealer wants $10K for it. Had my trike sold I would have to take a look at that. Like mentioned, lots of nice used bikes out there...
I'm actually looking at a 2007 Deluxe with 10,000 miles for asking price of $8,300.

Originally Posted by langwilliams
I've had a few bikes an I like the FL front end myself unless you're just getting a bike to run around town on. I like my fatboy...if I were buying a new bike I'd look at a slim S or a Fatboy S....I don't ride long distances much so I'm tempted by the breakout but it doesn't have that 21/90 front tire I'm not crazy about.

I had an electra glide for a while an it was like maneuvering a truck compared to a softail.
Breakout is/was like my Deuce. I call it a very cool barhopper!

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
You have to know what your "must haves" and your "don't wants" on you prospective new bike, car, girlfriend, etc. This will help you find "keepers" and to stop throwing money away buying and trading on impulse not knowing what you really want.
For example, on street motorcycles I have to have ABS brakes, cruise control.
Don't want, wire wheels with tubes inside. Leather saddlebags.
Like the seating position and the handle bars on the new Heritages, but don't want wire wheels, and the leather saddle bags. Maybe look closer at the Roadkings.
I am familiar with the King, having had 4 of them. Just looking for something different. I did go from ABS to non ABS and the first time I locked up the rear........I was like, oh ****, forgot about that. I forgot about cruise.....nice to have.

Originally Posted by UHDhog
You can make ANY Harley into a bagger if you need to. I only use my bags for weekend trips and the tour pack if it's a week long trip 2-up. I strip her down once we get to our destination to have that sexy bar-hopper look. Then, load it back up within minutes and ride home.

Wow. Cool, that is something I've never seen done before.

Originally Posted by Johan96
I went from a street glide to my fatboy s. I am very happy with my decision

Originally Posted by Scudda
I have thought of moving to a road king but my fat boy just fits me so right
Maybe, I'll know what you mean shortly.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:55 PM
irydasteelhorse
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

over the years I went from Goldwing to Electra glide. this year I lost a lot of weight(bike) and bought my first softy, a 2000 heritage. I have always had a thing for the fat front tires and heavy vintage look of the FL bikes. to me, mine just screams classic Harley. the low center of gravity and low seat height is a serious plus. I get good coverage from my windshield, but do think ill ad "fangs" at some point.
the ride is not as "cush" as my big bikes, but its pretty nice overall. this bike is seriously smooth. never had a Harley this smooth or strong running. the seating is good, but at times I wish the floorboards were a bit farther back. you sit in this bike, not on it. the handlebars are fantastic. ive heard a lot of people switch their other bikes to heritage bars just because they feel so good. the saddle bags take a lil getting used to, not as easy to get into or as big, but they hold quite a bit for sure. I have mine set up solo, as the wife rides her own, but it can be changed back in a few minutes.
overall: I love this bike, and would never go back at this point.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
Because the man finally has gotten a taste of a better platform, a sexy platform.....
LOL, my wife and I have both a Dyna and a Softail. We often switch off during longer rides, and neither of us can decide which we like best.

Except that my wife gets way more honks, waves, and thumbs-ups when she's on the Rocker. But that won't go for just any softail. Activity went way down when she was riding more conventional softail rental bikes.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 10-21-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:56 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I went to a Fatboy Lo from a 02 Road Glide when I had my knees replaced. I was always tiptoeing around with my 30" inseam and felt being closer to the ground might be a good thing with the fresh knees. Tried lowering the Glide but the ride really suffered. I really like the Fatboy and have outfitted it with RK Classic bags and even the trunk for longer trips. Much easier around town and as others have stated it's easier to wrestle around the shop. I've got air ride on the rear and a Progressive monotube front end so rides pretty nice. It may be just me though but I can't carve the corners like I could with my FLHTC or the RG. They both had the suspensions worked over to but haven't been able to get the same results with the FATBOY. Couple of years ago I picked up a Crossbones pretty cheap to turn but after riding it a few days it's become my favorite short ride bike so didn't get turned(made the bride cranky). I've bumped it up to a 107, put RK Classic bags on and a windshield and have done some 1k trips on it. It's become my favorite and I can carve the corners better on it than the Fatboy.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:21 PM
1Fordman
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 59 Posts

One of the riders in our group has a Switchback and another has a CVO Softail Convertible. Both go from bagger to cruiser real quick!

I went from years of riding softails to a Road King. Really happy with the king but still miss the Night Train. It was a fun bike on the 2 lane twistys.

Best of luck in finding the right softail to fit your needs.

Quick Reply: Sold Touring bike, Looking for Softail - Input wanted