Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold Touring bike, Looking for Softail - Input wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 10:27 AM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Sold Touring bike, Looking for Softail - Input wanted

I just sold my 2015 Ultra Limited. It was my 10th Harley. I've had 4 Ultra Classics and 4 Road Kings, plus one Deuce and one Vrod (just to try, it lasted about 6 weeks).

So, as you can see, I've predominantly been a touring guy but I'm done buying $25,000 bikes. I'm looking at late 2000's Softail Deluxes, Heritages, a Crossbones, etc. What do you guys recommend and why? Thanks! PS: I might have to change my name from DresserDude too. LOL.

I should add, I want bags and windshield capabilities that's why I started with those models

Last edited by DresserDude; 10-21-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:59 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Why not go the dyna route? I'd take conventional shocks any day. Handles better too. More in common with the touring platform. Throw a windshield and saddle bags on for touring. Strip it down for local and around town. Just a thought..

Last edited by Yamaharley; 10-21-2016 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 10-21-2016, 11:02 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,411 Likes on 4,016 Posts

I progressed from shovel head FXS bikes to a Heritage in 1989. I made the change for a little better comfort on long rides. The floorboards, FLH style front end, and removable windshield. I bought another Heritage in 2003...

Between the two, I have taken many long rides, and more than a few multi-day trips.

In 2012 I got an Ultra Limited, and was going to sell the '03 Heritage. I couldn't do it... totally different feel than the Limited... different bike altogether...

I have them both.... I mostly ride the Heritage around town, and day rides. The Limited gets ridden around town too, but mostly long range, multi-day rides with the wife....

However......The Heritage is capable of doing all the Limited can do, just a different feel/comfort factor... No radio, a little more wind (but I have an LRS recurve that works great), different feel/riding position, shocks not as good (shocks can be upgraded but so did my Limited shocks), and you'll have to configure your luggage differently on a truly long trip..

Even though you're used to baggers, I think you would have no problem changing to a Heritage.....

Last edited by hattitude; 10-21-2016 at 11:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DresserDude (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 11:13 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Why not go the dyna route? I'd take conventional shocks any day. Handles better too. More in common with the touring platform. Throw a windshield and saddle bags on for touring. Strip it down for local and around town. Just a thought..
Because the man finally has gotten a taste of a better platform, a sexy platform.....

Old 10-21-2016, 11:25 AM
Benito
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I too switched from several touring platforms to a Softail & a Dyna.

I just got tired of moving 900 plus pounds of motorcycles within my garage. I now move two bikes about my garage without any issues. See attached photo. I can move both bikes about my garage with relative ease. It was much more cumbersome when I had to move my baggers.

I set up my two bikes with bags & W/Ss and I could not be happier. The lighter bikes handle well and are much quicker too. I say, pick your Softail you love and farkle it up for comfort...

Go for it. You'll love it.

Cheers & GL,

B

DresserDude (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 11:35 AM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 432 Posts

Holy depreciation loss batman!

Old 10-21-2016, 12:06 PM
firefour
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Heritage Softail Classic

I traded in my 2014 Ultra Limited for a 2015 Heritage Softail Classic and couldn't be happier!!! I changed the seat and installed a Mustang seat with rider backrest and a wider passenger seat. My wife and I love it and it also made a world of difference in comfort. I love the classic look of the Heritage. It rides nice, handles great and is a pleasure to ride. After riding the Ultra Limited I would come home and feel like I just came home from work. It was a top heavy bike and heavy weight wise also. I have been riding over 40 years and am now 63. Can't say enough about my Heritage.

Attached Thumbnails Sold Touring bike, Looking for Softail - Input wanted-my-heritage-classic-and-me-copy.png  
DresserDude (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 12:30 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,422 Likes on 1,546 Posts

I'm looking at garage queens all the time. Found a blue and white 2010 softail deluxe with only 2500 miles on it. Honda dealer wants $10K for it. Had my trike sold I would have to take a look at that. Like mentioned, lots of nice used bikes out there...

Old 10-21-2016, 12:34 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
Because the man finally has gotten a taste of a better platform, a sexy platform.....
Fake rigids aren't sexy... It dosent handle better so what is the better part?

Old 10-21-2016, 12:42 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I've had a few bikes an I like the FL front end myself unless you're just getting a bike to run around town on. I like my fatboy...if I were buying a new bike I'd look at a slim S or a Fatboy S....I don't ride long distances much so I'm tempted by the breakout but it doesn't have that 21/90 front tire I'm not crazy about.

I had an electra glide for a while an it was like maneuvering a truck compared to a softail.

Quick Reply: Sold Touring bike, Looking for Softail - Input wanted