Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold Touring bike, Looking for Softail - Input wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 08:12 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Cool

Jeeze, the Heritage sounds perfect. Is there something you don't like about it?

Old 10-21-2016, 09:12 PM
KYfishtail
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going with 2000's, then 2002 would be one of the best years for motors. Better crank, plus better fuel injection, all the twin cams will have the cam chain tensioners that need to be checked often.

The Heritage is the Swiss Army knife of Harleys, does just about everything. The Fat Boys with the big rear tires don't last very long.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:03 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by irydasteelhorse
over the years I went from Goldwing to Electra glide. this year I lost a lot of weight(bike) and bought my first softy, a 2000 heritage. I have always had a thing for the fat front tires and heavy vintage look of the FL bikes. to me, mine just screams classic Harley. the low center of gravity and low seat height is a serious plus. I get good coverage from my windshield, but do think ill ad "fangs" at some point.
the ride is not as "cush" as my big bikes, but its pretty nice overall. this bike is seriously smooth. never had a Harley this smooth or strong running. the seating is good, but at times I wish the floorboards were a bit farther back. you sit in this bike, not on it. the handlebars are fantastic. ive heard a lot of people switch their other bikes to heritage bars just because they feel so good. the saddle bags take a lil getting used to, not as easy to get into or as big, but they hold quite a bit for sure. I have mine set up solo, as the wife rides her own, but it can be changed back in a few minutes.
overall: I love this bike, and would never go back at this point.
I totally agree about the FL vintage look. Speaking of bars, I put Heritage bars on my 2006 Road King. Absolutely necessary improvement for the older RK's

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
LOL, my wife and I have both a Dyna and a Softail. We often switch off during longer rides, and neither of us can decide which we like best.

Except that my wife gets way more honks, waves, and thumbs-ups when she's on the Rocker. But that won't go for just any softail. Activity went way down when she was riding more conventional softail rental bikes.
Having one of each is a nice dilemma to have.

Originally Posted by Snowyone
I went to a Fatboy Lo from a 02 Road Glide when I had my knees replaced. I was always tiptoeing around with my 30" inseam and felt being closer to the ground might be a good thing with the fresh knees. Tried lowering the Glide but the ride really suffered. I really like the Fatboy and have outfitted it with RK Classic bags and even the trunk for longer trips. Much easier around town and as others have stated it's easier to wrestle around the shop. I've got air ride on the rear and a Progressive monotube front end so rides pretty nice. It may be just me though but I can't carve the corners like I could with my FLHTC or the RG. They both had the suspensions worked over to but haven't been able to get the same results with the FATBOY. Couple of years ago I picked up a Crossbones pretty cheap to turn but after riding it a few days it's become my favorite short ride bike so didn't get turned(made the bride cranky). I've bumped it up to a 107, put RK Classic bags on and a windshield and have done some 1k trips on it. It's become my favorite and I can carve the corners better on it than the Fatboy.
There is a Crossbones for a reasonable price nearby. I'd really like to see it this weekend

Originally Posted by 1Fordman
One of the riders in our group has a Switchback and another has a CVO Softail Convertible. Both go from bagger to cruiser real quick!

I went from years of riding softails to a Road King. Really happy with the king but still miss the Night Train. It was a fun bike on the 2 lane twistys.

Best of luck in finding the right softail to fit your needs.
Thanks 1Fordman!! I'm in no hurry and it's certainly a buyer's market. Lord knows I "gave away" my 2015 Ultra Limited.

Originally Posted by Sleeko
Jeeze, the Heritage sounds perfect. Is there something you don't like about it?
Not at all. I certainly like the Heritage. It's just a matter of finding the right year, miles, price and color. Not as easy as it sounds. Also, 88, 96, 103 or 5 speed or 6 speed.

Originally Posted by KYfishtail
If you are going with 2000's, then 2002 would be one of the best years for motors. Better crank, plus better fuel injection, all the twin cams will have the cam chain tensioners that need to be checked often.

The Heritage is the Swiss Army knife of Harleys, does just about everything. The Fat Boys with the big rear tires don't last very long.
Agreed about the older crank and Timken bearings. Good stuff for sure. 2007 and up tensioners require much less checking though

Old 10-22-2016, 07:37 AM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 358 Posts

I also rode a 15 RG and ended up replacing it with a softail. BTW the hard bags can be mounted on softails.

http://www.livermorehd.com/default.a...ownedinventory

Old 10-22-2016, 10:03 AM
cobalt07
Road Master
Received 243 Likes on 152 Posts

I also just had enough of 850 lb. plus dressers. I'm getting old and getting smarter. Sold Ultra 9/14 and bought a Blackline just to keep riding 7/15 and fell in love with softails. It's my daily driver. My touring bike is now a '16 Heritage and I'm very comfortable.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 380 Likes on 191 Posts

This softail gives me all the second looks I could ever need, plus it is a blast to ride!

Old 10-22-2016, 11:31 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Fake rigids aren't sexy... It dosent handle better so what is the better part?
It's not so much about the "fake rigid" look as it is about the clean lines. Softails handle just fine, especially is you adjust the suspension to you. If you were so concerned with a ""great handling Harley, I'm fairly certain you should either be on a sporty or a vrod, not that dyna.

The following users liked this post:
DresserDude (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 07:12 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by HD_fan
I also rode a 15 RG and ended up replacing it with a softail. BTW the hard bags can be mounted on softails.

http://www.livermorehd.com/default.a...ownedinventory
I have to say that Deluxe is cool with those bags. I've never seen anything like that before.

Originally Posted by cobalt07
I also just had enough of 850 lb. plus dressers. I'm getting old and getting smarter. Sold Ultra 9/14 and bought a Blackline just to keep riding 7/15 and fell in love with softails. It's my daily driver. My touring bike is now a '16 Heritage and I'm very comfortable.
That just might be me pretty soon!

Originally Posted by Sticks24
This softail gives me all the second looks I could ever need, plus it is a blast to ride!

That's a BIG motor in a little bike. I'll bet that thing just rips

Old 10-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 380 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by DresserDude
I have to say that Deluxe is cool with those bags. I've never seen anything like that before.

That just might be me pretty soon!

That's a BIG motor in a little bike. I'll bet that thing just rips
Runs along quit nicely. Lots of torque.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:03 AM
Iku64
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had Dyna (2009), Road King(2003), V-Rod(2011..only one which I bought as new), Electra Glide Ultra Classic (2006) and this summer I have had Softail Deluxe 2007 and I just say that for me Softail is best choice ever.
I've been wondering to my fellow riders that "why I haven't bought this model in first place"....
It's easy and comfortable to ride even two up because it's much lighter than FLHTCUI. Also saddle hight is very low so you are very relaxed at entering to stop at crossroads.

I only sometimes miss cruise but abs I don't....I ride so slow that I haven't get me in trouble without it..

I have detachable hard saddle bags, Batwing and Sissybar so I can drive longer rides easier (with my wife or without) but I can also dressed it to single seat to enjoy it by myself with wind blowing....so I say..go for it...

Quick Reply: Sold Touring bike, Looking for Softail - Input wanted