Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need info, opinions, etc., for a 2000 Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 02:43 PM
waynejitsu
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info, opinions, etc., for a 2000 Fat Boy

I am looking at a 2000 Fat Boy with 30,000 miles on it and Engine has the screaming eagle package (screaming eagle heads, S&S carb and intake, crane cams and fire box) added around 10,000 miles ago, bike has also been Dyno Tuned. The bike looks almost new and the owner has had it for the last 6 years.
What is this bike worth?
What is the reliability of this bike compared to other Harley models and the newer Fat Boy?
How is the reliability compared to other bikes, Honda, Suzuki, etc?
Are there any things I need to know about it?
I am not a mechanic and want a bike I can just jump on,ride and not worry about breaking down far from home. ANY and ALL advise is greatly appreciated, Thanks!!

Old 10-23-2016, 07:43 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

If the motor was done right the only worry would be the mechanical adjusters on cam change. Did you ride the bike and like it's feel? Should be in the 6 to 7k range for price. As with all motorized vehicles it's a crap shoot which is going to make it to 120k. The reliability compared to other bikes I don't know as have never owned them. I do see HD riders taking much better care of their bikes in general knowing their value will hold if doing so. Price a 16 year old Suzuki and that should tell you something.

The following users liked this post:
waynejitsu (10-24-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 07:51 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,555 Likes on 3,058 Posts

That bike came with a bullet proof crank. If the tensioners were addressed, it should be super reliable.

waynejitsu (10-24-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 08:20 PM
waynejitsu
Novice

Thanks guys!! The motor has 30,000 miles on it, the work done to it was 10,000 miles ago, so, I am "guessing" it was done tight..., or hoping so. I have not rode it yet, but plan to meet up this week. We are both out of town, so, it's not like either can ride 10 minutes and check it out. I am guessing he feels confident enough to ride and hour this way. He wants $6,500 and said he would take $6k for it. I am going to try to get it for $5,500. I know nothing about Harley's, but everyone I knew growing up had one, but back then they were not too good. I have heard they are a lot better. someone said the Evolution engine was the best one, but I have no idea. I do not mind saying when something is over my head, but, at one time a lot of things were and I have come to master them since that time. How does it ride? I mean, I am asking because of my back, it was broke in 4 places several years ago. I know it's not a hard tail, just curious how well the "newer" bikes ride. I do like that they hold their value. It is like, they depreciate in price, go down so far and then hold, whereas most other bikes go down in price and just keep going, LOL! One more Q- Is there a way to lower the bike a couple of inches without costing a lot or messing the ride up completely? THANKS EVERYONE!!

Old 10-23-2016, 08:31 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Softails are the lowest bikes in the Harley line-up, most guys that lower them do so for looks as lowering them will generally make the ride very harsh. There are airshock kits available to help with this though. I have mine lowered about an inch right now and except on the harshest of bumps, mine rides pretty good.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:04 PM
waynejitsu
Novice

Sure makes it look better. Even my truck is lowered, but that's a different story. Is lowering expensive? Labor intensive?

Old 10-24-2016, 05:13 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Still riding a 2002 Fat Boy that I bought new in April 2002. 34k on it and no problems. It's had some head work done and gear drive cams. That work was done in 2005 and it hasn't missed a beat in all these years. The bottom end has never been apart. In my experience the 88B has been a wonderful motor.
All HD recommended service was performed at all the suggested intervals.

waynejitsu (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 05:43 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Originally Posted by waynejitsu
Sure makes it look better. Even my truck is lowered, but that's a different story. Is lowering expensive? Labor intensive?
Lowering bolts are inexpensive but the shock has to be disassembled to install them and will lower the bike, but the ride will be marginal.
A set of Progressive 422 shocks runs about $400 dollars and are relatively easy to replace and set-up. They allow for lowering and are better than the stock set-up.
An air shock set-up from Shotgun Shocks is supposedly the best way to go but runs about $1200/$1500. It is infinitely adjustable for ride height and rebound, damping adjustments.

waynejitsu (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 02:01 PM
waynejitsu
Novice

Sounds like I picked a winner from what 2goldens just said, nice!!
Is this an Evolution engine or what is it? (sorry, I know nothing about these bikes, been away for a looong time)

QC, thank you for the info. Lowering does not sound to bad. The air ride would be great, but a bit pricey right now, maybe later on down the road.
The $400 set up sounds like the way to go.

After not being on a bike in the last (close to) 30 years, any suggestions or anything I should be aware of, besides watching out for idiot drivers?

Old 10-24-2016, 03:40 PM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by waynejitsu
Sounds like I picked a winner from what 2goldens just said, nice!!
Is this an Evolution engine or what is it? (sorry, I know nothing about these bikes, been away for a looong time)

QC, thank you for the info. Lowering does not sound to bad. The air ride would be great, but a bit pricey right now, maybe later on down the road.
The $400 set up sounds like the way to go.

After not being on a bike in the last (close to) 30 years, any suggestions or anything I should be aware of, besides watching out for idiot drivers?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 1999 was the last year of Evo. Your 2000 would have a Twin Cam 88 (Fathead) motor. I'm not sure if that motor is the "B" (counterbalanced) or if the B came out a year or 2 later. My '02 is a B. I'm also guessing that your bike would be a carbed model. In 2002 when I bought mine new there was the option for carb or injected. I got carb. When the 2003 models came out I think the carb had gone away as an option.
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...STFIFatBoy.htm

Last edited by 2goldens; 10-24-2016 at 03:49 PM.
waynejitsu (10-24-2016)

Quick Reply: Need info, opinions, etc., for a 2000 Fat Boy