Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Saddlebags on 2016 Heritage - Fitment Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 01:39 PM
LeoGast
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Hard Saddlebags on 2016 Heritage - Fitment Issues?

Yes, I did search. Here is my problem.

I want to put OEM hard saddlebags on my 2016 Heritage. Seems simple. Everyone says to buy the CycleVisions brackets. But another poster tried this on a 2016 and there was not enough clearance on the left bracket between it and the axle bolt. So, I called CycleVisions, they say, well that guy is wrong and our brackets do fit. But after a few more questions, he says, OH, BUT you have to flip the axle bolt so that the nut is on the right side for them to fit.

UGH. I don't want to remove the muffler and flip the axle bolt just so I can put hard bags on.

I could go with VikingBags, but I'd rather use regular harley bags.

What are my options? Is something suddenly different on the 2016 Heritage?

Old 01-05-2017, 02:33 PM
Eldeluxo
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed the baggertail kit last year, and that was part of what I had to do to my deluxe. I was installing a new exhaust so it wasn't a big deal in my case.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:53 AM
patrick74
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoGast
Yes, I did search. Here is my problem.

I want to put OEM hard saddlebags on my 2016 Heritage. Seems simple. Everyone says to buy the CycleVisions brackets. But another poster tried this on a 2016 and there was not enough clearance on the left bracket between it and the axle bolt. So, I called CycleVisions, they say, well that guy is wrong and our brackets do fit. But after a few more questions, he says, OH, BUT you have to flip the axle bolt so that the nut is on the right side for them to fit.

UGH. I don't want to remove the muffler and flip the axle bolt just so I can put hard bags on.

I could go with VikingBags, but I'd rather use regular harley bags.

What are my options? Is something suddenly different on the 2016 Heritage?

Well I am the one they say is wrong. All I can say is I flipped the axle, her bike is lowered. They said that should make no difference.

But here Are some pics. If you see clearance let me know. They did refund money but other than sending new bottom rails did nothing else except say it should work.

I also had to space the turn signals away from the fender as they hit the bags in stock position

Last edited by patrick74; 01-06-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:09 PM
Jimmy55TX
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by patrick74
Well I am the one they say is wrong. All I can say is I flipped the axle, her bike is lowered. They said that should make no difference.

But here Are some pics. If you see clearance let me know. They did refund money but other than sending new bottom rails did nothing else except say it should work.

I also had to space the turn signals away from the fender as they hit the bags in stock position

I called them this week about your issue. They will not return my calls. So Im assuming they have an unknown issue with the 16s that they dont want to address.

Glad I saw your post BEFORE I got a 1000 bucks into this project.

Hopefully they will answer up and help us out!

Old 01-19-2017, 09:24 PM
LeoGast
Cruiser

I'm the OP. I ended up buying the cyclevisions kit and I installed it last night on my 2016 heritage. They did not provide the bolts that hold the top rails. You cannot reuse the Heritage bolts because they are too long. So I bought some stainless steel bolts from home Depot.

Now the main part. The kit actually fit my bike perfectly and the bags look great. The directional lights are very close to the bags but there is clearance. The design of the baggertail is very good and it is rock solid when fully installed. It appears I have plenty of clearance with the suspension. I did flip the axle bolt. Not difficult at all. Note: I truly think Patrick's problem is that his bike is lowered. I think a stock suspension height will work just fine.

I have decided to buy a narrower seat as the stock heritage seat rubs against the hard bags. But that isn't a cyclevisions problem. They can't stick the bags out any further without the gaps being too wide.

All in all, the end result is very good. Due to the inconvenience of not including the top rail bolts, cyclevisions sent me a tshirt in the mail today. They also did answer my emails and called me twice.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:29 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

I'm the OP. I ended up buying the cyclevisions kit and I installed it last night on my 2016 heritage.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:44 AM
patrick74
Tourer

I'm the OP. I ended up buying the cyclevisions kit and I installed it last night on my 2016 heritage. They did not provide the bolts that hold the top rails. You cannot reuse the Heritage bolts because they are too long. So I bought some stainless steel bolts from home Depot.

Now the main part. The kit actually fit my bike perfectly and the bags look great. The directional lights are very close to the bags but there is clearance. The design of the baggertail is very good and it is rock solid when fully installed. It appears I have plenty of clearance with the suspension. I did flip the axle bolt. Not difficult at all. Note: I truly think Patrick's problem is that his bike is lowered. I think a stock suspension height will work just fine.

I have decided to buy a narrower seat as the stock heritage seat rubs against the hard bags. But that isn't a cyclevisions problem. They can't stick the bags out any further without the gaps being too wide.

All in all, the end result is very good. Due to the inconvenience of not including the top rail bolts, cyclevisions sent me a tshirt in the mail today. They also did answer my emails and called me twice.
please post some pictures . They insured me that it wasn't the lowering of the bike causing my clearances. They stated that the Softail suspension should have full travel . The lowerIng kits just simply puts the rear tire closer into he fender.

please compress your suspension all the way. This will tell us one way or the other. And if yours hits wih 2-2 1/2" of compression that could cause a safety hazard for you riding down the road

Old 01-21-2017, 07:01 AM
patrick74
Tourer

When I ordered the kit. I also didn't get bolts for the top rail to fender. Fortunately I had bolts from a docking kit

Old 01-21-2017, 12:02 PM
LeoGast
Cruiser
Default Here are the pictures ~ CycleVisions on 2016 Heritage

Originally Posted by Bluraven

plenty of room on both sides

Notice that the stock heritage seat does rub against these bags. I'm replacing the seat with a Le Pera

Taillights do not rub fenders but are very close. these bags follow the fender line nicely. Looks good.

Here is the axle bolt (flipped) with plenty of room when the suspension is compressed.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:24 PM
Jimmy55TX
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by patrick74
please post some pictures . They insured me that it wasn't the lowering of the bike causing my clearances. They stated that the Softail suspension should have full travel . The lowerIng kits just simply puts the rear tire closer into he fender.

please compress your suspension all the way. This will tell us one way or the other. And if yours hits wih 2-2 1/2" of compression that could cause a safety hazard for you riding down the road
Good point!

Quick Reply: Hard Saddlebags on 2016 Heritage - Fitment Issues?