Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker C- Big Wheel Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 03:16 PM
Hoss11887
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker C- Big Wheel Advice

Greetings all. This is my first post and apologize in advance if its a duplicate thread. Since Daytona Bike Week 17 I've been all over looking for options and prices on upgrading the wheels on my 09 Rocker C. I'd like to go with a 23" or 26" front wheel with a matching 18" rear. Wondering what pictures, advice, connections etc. the site has to offer.

1. Recommendations on 23 vs 26? Of course the 26 is more coin and will require a bigger drop, ultimately hurting ride quality but I love the look. I spoke with a few venders in Daytona who said the 26" looks right and works with the Rocker's OEM rake but they may have just been trying to sell...pictures and advice for both sizes would be much appreciated.

2. Prices seem astronomical, which I expected, but found a few options on ebay (see link below) which have to be too good to be true. Can anybody speak to why said wheels (link below) are 1/4 the price of most? Also would love some recommendations on good brands.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-BLACK-48-...ZWVgY2&vxp=mtr

3. Wondering if anybody has experience with bitchin seat co's replica wheels as this would save me the cost of buying a rear wheel to match (link below)
http://www.bitchinseatstore.net/26_i...-billet-26.htm

Thanks to all for the time and expertise.

Mike

Old 03-23-2017, 04:21 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoss11887
Greetings all. This is my first post and apologize in advance if its a duplicate thread. Since Daytona Bike Week 17 I've been all over looking for options and prices on upgrading the wheels on my 09 Rocker C. I'd like to go with a 23" or 26" front wheel with a matching 18" rear. Wondering what pictures, advice, connections etc. the site has to offer.

1. Recommendations on 23 vs 26? Of course the 26 is more coin and will require a bigger drop, ultimately hurting ride quality but I love the look. I spoke with a few venders in Daytona who said the 26" looks right and works with the Rocker's OEM rake but they may have just been trying to sell...pictures and advice for both sizes would be much appreciated.

2. Prices seem astronomical, which I expected, but found a few options on ebay (see link below) which have to be too good to be true. Can anybody speak to why said wheels (link below) are 1/4 the price of most? Also would love some recommendations on good brands.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-BLACK-48-...ZWVgY2&vxp=mtr

3. Wondering if anybody has experience with bitchin seat co's replica wheels as this would save me the cost of buying a rear wheel to match (link below)
http://www.bitchinseatstore.net/26_i...-billet-26.htm

Thanks to all for the time and expertise.

Mike
Hi Mike and welcome!! Personally I would not go with a 26" with the stock rake. It would raise the front 3.5", and even if you used a Progressive 2" lowering spring kit, the bike will still be 1.5" higher in the front than stock, (not a look I would want), and the handling will be negatively affected, also if you plan on dropping the rear any, it will be worse, both looks and handling. If you go 23" it will raise the front 2", and you could drop it back to stock level with the 2" Progressive kit...I don't know about that Ebay wheel/brand, but the Bitchin Seats wheels are top notch, with several guys around here running them, and Rich the owner is awesome to deal with. If you do go 26", I see in the link that they are currently having triple trees made in varying degrees of rake, or HHI is another popular choice for raked trees. You'll also need a new fender if going to a 23" or 26" and Bitchin Seats also makes some really nice fenders for the Rocker. I put a 21" wheel on my Rocker with a Bitchin Seats 180 full wrap fender, that Rich custom made for me. He molded it to fit around the fork tube, because I wanted to keep the stock off-set and not center my wheel.

I lowered the front 2" with the spring kit and the rear 1 3/8" with Progressive 422 adjustable shocks, so it sits level....

Last edited by Rocker B; 03-23-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:28 AM
rquest
Road Master
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B

I don't mean to get off topic but have you ever ridden that bike above 70 or 80? I originally mounted my ft fender about as close as you have yours (it can't even see the lip of the rim behind the forks?) and the first day around 80 degrees and going about 80 mph my tire expanded enough to bubble the paint on my fender enough that I had to re-paint. I now have it at least 1/4 to 3/8s off the tire. Something for you guys to think about... it does look bad-a$$ though!

Last edited by rquest; 03-24-2017 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:37 AM
Hoss11887
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for the input. Have you or anybody ever seen a stock rake with 26" and lowered appropriately? I'm sure its a lot of work but I just love the look. I'll probably wind up going with the 23" and 2" front drop but am not ready to give up yet. Input on the bitchin seat co is very valuable though. Great looking rocker by the way.

Do you know what diameter our front axles are? 1"?

If anybody else has input on the ebay wheel in original post I would love some feedback, additional wheel photos, opinions, etc.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:50 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by rquest
I don't mean to get off topic but have you ever ridden that bike above 70 or 80? I originally mounted my ft fender about as close as you have yours (it can't even see the lip of the rim behind the forks?) and the first day around 80 degrees and going about 80 mph my tire expanded enough to bubble the paint on my fender enough that I had to re-paint. I now have it at least 1/4 to 3/8s off the tire. Something for you guys to think about... it does look bad-a$$ though!
It must look closer than it actually is....I've got a 7/16" gap, so no problems.....Rich at Bitchin Seats pre-fit and the fender and drilled the mounting holes using a Rocker with a 120/70/21 tire, at his shop .

Last edited by Rocker B; 03-24-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:16 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

One more thing to consider, particularly if you go with a 26":
With a larger diameter wheel, and the stock diameter disk, braking effectiveness will be substantially reduced. Or in other words, a lot more lever pressure will be required to get the same rate of deceleration.