Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Disc Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 05:15 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Solid Disc Wheels

Question for you guys with solid disc wheels, I'm considering putting them on my EG. My question is does the a cross wind when riding effect how you bike handles?

Old 08-14-2007, 05:35 AM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Solid Disc Wheels

I replaced the rear only on mine and it had no effect. If your replacing the front also I would think that with the bags on the bike it would have minimal effects in cross winds. The spoke area on the front wheel is small compared to the rest of the machine. These FLs, like yours(which is a very nice ride by the way), don't have very much wheel exposed anyway.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:22 AM
IsurvivedNMU
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also only have the rear dish. Ido not have bags or anything on the bike. I notice nothing with cross winds....

Old 08-14-2007, 06:29 AM
Xocjm
Tourer

My last bike was a Fatboy and I use to ride across the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa and never had a problem. (That bridge is known for it's high crosswinds) Michael

Old 08-14-2007, 06:49 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

I notice it on a windy day somewhat but it could just be the bulky bike. It never seemed to be excessive to me and when others would mention it I wondered if it was really the wheel causing it.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:20 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't noticed anything that would suggest the solid rear wheel on my Custom is any diffeerent in a crosswind than my old Yamaha. In fact the added weight, length and overall better stability of the bike actually seems toreduce its 'wayward' attitude in the wind. Even big trucks blowing by don't seem to have as great an effect on it.
Overall I seriously doubtyou would notice anydrastic difference between solid disk wheels and what you have now. After allthe front disk brakes cover most of the spoked part of thatfront wheel anyway. IMHO its doubtful you would notice the change. As far as the wind goes, itprobably exerts more directional influence on your ride through thebags and especially the windshield/fairingthan the wheels anyway.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:30 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:33 AM
chop09
Tourer

I have both solid wheels and I don't think the cross wind is any greater effect on my bike than any one elses. I think big winds are catching your boby and bikemore than anything.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:06 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I took a ride a month ago with a friend that had a Fatboy with solid wheels. I asked him the same question and he said that he didn't have any probem with them.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

Well this is supposed to be an urban myth and all that about solid disc wheels, but... I bought an '02 Fatboy new and was ready to sell it because it always felt like it was going to do something wierd in the wind. Not as much cross winds as diagonal winds. It never did anything bad, but I couldn't ever relax on it. I think some guys get used to it.That's fine if you can, I couldn't. I popped for some custom spoked wheels and it was like every other bike I ever owned before. It handles great and I can relax. Still got the bike and a Streetglide too.

Quick Reply: Solid Disc Wheels