Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway bar chaps! Love them!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:47 PM
69Shark
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highway bar chaps! Love them!

Since I ride all year in the Seattle area, I wanted something to protect my feet from the rain . well, I settled on the leather chaps from Chilhowee. I run a Lindby Mustash bar on my bike. I went to Chilhowee and they custom made me a set of chaps! THey not only look great but much to my pleasant surprise, the protect me from wind too! I hadn't thought of that! Today it was in the low 40's when I left my house for work. When I got to work I was so aware of the fact that my feet were not even the slightest bit cold! The chaps had kept the direct wind off my boots and thus my feet were perfectly comfortable!

Chilhowee customer service was fantastic! I swapped emails several times with Chil and he was very concerned that I was satisfied. YES I was! The fit is great and the look is very nice! Yes, I will remove them when the weather is nice but in the rain and cold you can bet I'll be riding with my chaps on the mustasche bar!

NO I do not have any affiliation with Chilhowee. I just love to share when something good has been done!

Thanks Chil! ( if you read this . . . .)

Scott

Old 09-21-2007, 08:06 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Highway bar chaps! Love them!

I had soft lowers on a RK I used to have. Was also very happy with how much they keep the cold air off the lower leg. Something else to consider, are those chrome fork mounted wind deflectors. Despite their small size, they help quite a bit at highway speed.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:18 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Timely post for me. I just picked up a Lindby bar off Ebay this morning and am talking with Sagebrushdesigns.com about the chaps. Have to have them custom made because they don't currently have a pattern to fit the bar for an 02 Dyna FXDL. They also have some very cool tank bibs - I really don't care for the chrome strip on mine.
If you're in Seattle, you know from rain. Do you have a web link? I'd like to take a look there too.
Also have an interest in some metal upper deflectors that will work with a detachable windshield on the Dyna - haven't been able to find anything so far. May have to switch to a Memphis with the lexan deflectors. I'm from Minnesota and live in Montana. I know from cold.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:30 PM
69Shark
Tourer

Well I do have the lowere wind deflectors and you are correct. They work great. I really perfer the look without but I am into function not form. Thus I have them.

Here is the link to Chilhowee:
http://www.chilhowee.net/
I had to make a pattern for them but they sent me instructions that were extremely easy to follow and I must have done good because they fit great!
I have yet to use them in the rain but I'm sure I will soon enough. I'd be happy to email photos or answer any specific questions. Again, I am in no way associated with them. I just LOVE when I'm treated good and I'm very happy to open my big mouth. Chilhowee customer service was absolutely fantastic. I'm not in any way speaking bad of your choice either. Just very pleased with my chaps.

I'll be at the Oyster Run in Anacortes Wa Sunday. I'm sure you'll see me if looking. probably only 10K other bikers there!

Scott

Old 09-21-2007, 09:54 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member

Have been on the Chilowee site for a bit. Like them better - leather, not vinyl, therefore, more expensive. I think it's worth the extra $ - I hate anything vinyl. So much that I won't even install the cr4p. Leather looks sooooo much nicer & the only vinyl on my bike is the POS strip on the edge of the chrome tank bib. Plus, they have the pattern for my bike. Waiting to hear on a tank bib before I order a set of chaps.(costs almost as much as the Lindby bars I bought this morning). Winter is coming and I want to ride through most of it.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:30 PM
EXAMMO
Tourer

I ordered mine from Chil a few days ago. I have the HD mustache bar and opted for the 2 pockets and studs to match my bags (heritage classic). Although I havent received them yet, Chil has sent two emails to give me an update on where mine stand in teh queue. He handmakes them once the order is in. He explained how he is about 10-14 days backed up. I told him not to worry because it was still in teh 70's here in Omaha. Great customer service. Will update once I get them in.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:54 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm glad you're chaps work out I was wondering how you made out with them.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:03 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll be going with the studs, but am still wondering about the pockets. Are they really useful? Especially since I'm going to be taking them on and off all summer. I can see them on road trips where every ounce of storage is worth gold. Have to sleep on that one.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:09 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had them put one pocket on the ones I got for the Springer, haven't used the pocket yet but at lest Ive got it if I ever need it.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:11 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member

I'd like to see a bigger pocket, as in small water bottle size. That, or a map holder of some sort. May just rig one of those myself.

Quick Reply: Highway bar chaps! Love them!