Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Softail Custom Headlight Bounce

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 05:46 PM
abie
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Softail Custom Headlight Bounce

I've had my bike now since May. The one complaint I have is that the headlight bounces considerably. It is very noticable especially on all the streetsigns in front of me.

Anyone else have this problem? Or anyone know how to fix it or even make it bounce less?

I took it to the dealership and they just said "that's just the way it is." All the bolts are tight, this is just bugging the crap out of me

Old 09-26-2007, 05:53 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Softail Custom Headlight Bounce

Yup, it's normal but I think it sucks myself. The mounts use rubbers with bolts out of each end to attach with. Some day I'll make up some plastic bushings the same length as the rubbers and go with a through bolt to unitize the assembly. I don't think these things vibrate enough to require such cushy rubbers.
Ron

Old 09-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,757 Likes on 771 Posts

I put a Deuce headlight on my Night Train, which is the same as the headlight on the STC (actually, seeing an STC with that headlight on it convinced me to change out mine). I had that exact same problem after I installed it... the friggin thing was bouncing around so much, it was almost useless to see with at night. If you pull the reflector assembly out, you'll see where the bucket is bolted to the mount by three screws/bushings. Don't bother trying to tighten them. What I did, was take a thick piece of rubber and put it between the front of the mount (on the inside of the bucket) and the bucket. It takes the slop out of it, and since it's rubber, still allows it to absorb vibration and shock. My headlight barely moves now. If you go this route, you'll probably have to readjust the light as it will raise where it's aimed a bit.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 09-26-2007, 06:06 PM
springerGT
Road Master

Same here. I like it because cagers will be more apt to see me. My 02.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:24 PM
jb55
Cruiser

Welcome to the club, get use to it!! Besides everybody loves disco lights.

JB.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Twolf
Road Master

Mine bounces, but not too badly. One of these days when it's raining I'll fix it. I still see everything at nite.
Besides, it's a Harley, it SHOULD bounce, right? LOL! Like Springer said, it's a safety feature!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Helix
Tourer

Take off the front cover - the threaded one that gives you access inside the assy. Take a clear zip tie and thread it through the 2 slots at the aft end of the headlight assy. Tighten it......Bounce is 90% gone.Just make sure the zip tie end is inside the headlight so nobody can see it. I dont even know its thyere unless I look real hard. I didnt mind it in the day but most of my driving is at night and its a PITA to say the least. It gives you a false feeling of a jittery ride - not to mention the bouncing off the highway sigsn etc. After the above mod it still bounce a tad but its mostly gone.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 PM
CaptainCHet
Cruiser

My headlight was bouncing quite a bit, drove me crazy.

There are two screws (chrome) on either side of the light and what I did was tighten them (by turning them in the direction that you would think would loosen them) and to my amazement the light is now rock solid.

I didn't go overboard but just enought to stop the bouncing. After 50 miles on the freeway it's still firm. Discovered this quite by accident, by the way! We'll see how long this holds

Old 09-26-2007, 11:43 PM
drcustom
6th Gear

Same dang problem here. Thanks for the post. I'm going to try the ziptie in the headlight assembly mod. and see if that works! First time I rode at night I knew there was a prob. After I took it in for the 1000 mile service, the shop told me it was normal. I can't stand it!

Old 09-27-2007, 04:33 AM
06DEUCE
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1386317/tm.htm

read this.

i removed the rubber studs. on my stock headlight.

Quick Reply: 2007 Softail Custom Headlight Bounce