Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering heritage,advice ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 07:08 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering heritage,advice ?

Seasoned vet here from the dyan bunch. Looking at a 2008 softail heritage 2 tone red. Any advice ? Best deal so far. 10k out the door,and my 2006 fxdbi bob . Still looking for better price !!

Never had a bagger before. What mite i like and what mite i dislike if i go for it. As always,any input my way would be appreciated .

Like info if you guys like stock seat, things like this would be great info . I am really diggin the 2 tone red ! More info. I am 5ft 11in tall,190 pounds.will the bike fit me well ?

Old 09-29-2007, 07:24 PM
walc
Cruiser
Default RE: Considering heritage,advice ?

I had a Heritage Softail Classic, in 1987. Now, I have a 2007Dyna Super Glide, which I love. [8D]
I'm 6' and 195 lbs.
The Heritage is a very comfortable andridable bike.
I rode it 1200 miles, each way to Daytona Bike Week, with the stock seat and it was great.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:42 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

A heritage isn't really a bagger at least the way I understand.
Baggers are all the e-glides, road glide and RKs.
My humble opinion is that youmight be dissapointedin the Heritage coming off a dyna. The big reason is handling.
I've had an FXR, Heritage and now an Ultra. The Heritage handles like a tank compared to the others I've owned. The Heritage is a great bike and if that's not important to you, go for it.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:13 PM
TheBreeze521
Cruiser

Stock Heritage does handle "heavy" in the front end. Running without windshield and different bars improved handling dramatically for me.

If you like the look of the Heritage go for it. If handling is important and you don't mind hard bags, look at the Street Glide, especially in the 08's with 6 gal tank and ABS. Great handlingcompared to Heritage and sound system.Great idea to demo or rent both before you buy.

Love my Heritage but wish I hadthe Street Glide too.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:26 PM
SmokinEd
Advanced

I love my 07 Heritage, yah itsheavy bike, but it handles very nice. Very smooth. The classic look is what I like the most and I don't like having a bunch of extra crap on the front end (ferrings, lowers, etc.). Its the longest bike harley makes, about an inch longer than the baggers, that could be the biggest difference in the handling, put if you push on that bar, its responsive. They are also a bit lower, and look best when lowered an additional inch, but with long pipes like mine, there is a tendency to scrape on sharp right hand turns. Wouldn't trade it for anything though, but adding more bikes would always be nice!!

Eddie

[IMG]local://upfiles/37647/8707BE017CA94C79BC446437B0408296.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37647/A882DE11A53C4DA9B2353ECE870D1C94.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-29-2007, 11:32 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The Heritage is a Classic Old School looking bike.
If that's what you like, thenyou won't be disappointed.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh yeah,
"Wide White Walls" make it even a better lookin' bike.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:47 AM
txcomp
Cruiser

I really like mine but if I could change something it would be to raise the boards about 1/2 an inch. I am CONSTANTLY dragging the boards on mine. I do really like the counterbalanced engine.

I just did 120 miles 2 up through central AR today and wasn't a bit tired afterward. The seat is great, I think it handles really well and there is just enough room to pack everything but the kitchen sink.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:04 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me a "bagger" is a bike with bags (even leather ones) mounted full time, so the Heritage fits that description. I guess the question is hard enough that even magazines like "Baggers" have asked readers whether leather bagged bikes fit the category. Funny ... leather bags were around long before hard bags but for some a leather bagged bike is not a "bagger."

Anyway, I've had both full dresser/touring bikes and cruiser/baggers for a few years, and the Heritage does handle just a bit "heavier" than others. But you get used to it very quickly. I can turn and handle my Heritage just as nimbley as my friends on Dynas. I think it also handles as well as any other Softail I've ridden, but then again I'm a bit prejudice toward the bike to begin with.

Two things I love about a bike with bags: (1) You've got someplace to put junk (and it makes a run to the store or parts shop easier), and (2) the leather bags look great.

As noted, the Heritage is an "old school" look and it's not for everyone, but it sounds like you're a likely candiate for the bike.

As for seats, the stock seat is not as bad as some I've been on. A bud has a 1200C Sporty that I've ridden a couple hundred miles, and that seat just seems like a rock to me. At the same time, the Heritage seat is not as comfortable to me as the seat on the Electra Glide Classic or Ultra. I think the best touring seat (OEM) is the Ultra, but even some of those need some improvements.

For my money I'll be adding a new seat next spring. I'll likely go with the Ultimate Seat with rider's backrest. I've got about 8,000+ miles of trips planned, so the better touring seat is almost a must have item. http://www.ultimateseats.ca/

I've had an Ultimate seat twice before and loved them both times. The Mustang seats are also nice, but by the time you add in the price of a rider's backrest, passenger pillion, and sissy bar pad you're pretty much at the same price as an Ultimate. What I like about the Ultimate is overall fit and quality. You sit "in" the seat and not just "on" it. It takes about 300 miles to really get it to feel right, but you can notice a difference even in the first 50 miles.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:44 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't be sorry if you get the Heritage.There are some that have said the Dyna's handle better, I wholeheartedly disagree. I rode an '03 Low Rider before I got my Heritage. In my honest opinion, the Hearitage handles every bit as good as the Dyna.My '03 Heritage just turned 50K miles and my '07 Heritage just turned 15K miles. I travel many miles at a time when I go, and I've never had a bad ride with the Heritage. As far as the seat goes, I've been using a Mustang touring seat on both bikes since I bought them. They are a great seat for riding long and short distance.

Quick Reply: Considering heritage,advice ?