Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Primary Inspection Cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:14 AM
tom134
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Primary Inspection Cover

How hard is it to replace the primary inspection cover on an'06 FB? I'm obviously not mechanically inclined but got the skull cover as a gift when I bought the bike. Any tricks to this? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:33 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Replacing Primary Inspection Cover

First, welcome to the forum.

Make sure you have your bike straight-up, not on the jiffy-stand. You'll lose oil otherwise.

When I boughtmy derby cover the parts guy automatically handed me a new gasket to go with it. My '08 has one of those re-useable rubber-ring gaskets that didn't want to fit back into the grove of my stock cover. The new full-sized gasket was a perfet fit and no resultant leaks from my new cover.

The instructions show a zig-zag rotation to tighten-down the derby-cover fasteners starting with the top-most screw first, follow that and you'll be fine.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 10-16-2007, 09:37 AM
tom134
Advanced

Thanks! I'll give it a shot!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:08 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Easy, just do what was mentioned above and you'll be good.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:14 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you have the EXACT sized torx head wrench or you will strip the bolt heads. I would suggest you invest in a set of chrome allen head bolts to replace the torx ones. As was mentioned, install the new derby cover using a crossing pattern tightening each bolt a little at a time.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:17 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe that it is a t-27 torx on an 06 fatboy. You are talking about the small cover, not large round one (derby) correct? Also make sure you get the right bolts back into the proper holes as several are different lenths., but all in all this is so simpla a monkey could do it. For the inspection cover it does not matter if it is on the side stand or not either. That only matters for the derby cover.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:18 AM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about the derby cover? The big round one? or the inspection cover... smaller oblong? either way I would replace the gasket with a new cover. With the inpsection cover though I don't believe you need to have it standing straight up but I could be wrong. Maybe just put the stand on a 2x4 at most.

oh, anubisss confirmed.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:22 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is in fact the inspection cover rather than the derby cover, the bike can be on the side stand and it won't leak oil. However, be very careful tightening the bolts, as they strip easily. And as was said, get a new gasket.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:35 AM
tom134
Advanced

It is the bigcover on the primary to the rear on the left side. The part says "Derby Cover Kit" on the box. I have the replacement gasket too. The chrome torx screws in the box look to be the same length. Thanks for the heads up on the torx screw wrench - need to pick up a set to fit my socket set. Another kind of bolt/screw/nut to deal with!

I also have a timer cover to replace as well.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:40 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That is the derby cover. Follow the instuctions in the maual. Timing cover has no oil behind it and can be taken off and put on easily. The derby cover does have oil behind it and it is necessary to put the bike level inorder to not spill the oil, or drain the primary. Take your pick. You gotta tighten the bolts in a star pattern too...

Quick Reply: Replacing Primary Inspection Cover