Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Security System

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:56 PM
martyandpeg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Security System

Ok, I have a 2007 Softail Custom that came with the basic factory security system. I want to add a pager (pn#91660-06), and after looking into it I find I also need the siren kit (PN#68328-06). This is fine, but I have a question or two.

Is this a pretty simple install? Does a dealer need to be involved, other than getting the parts for me?

With the siren attached, can that feature be disabled on a as-needed basis? There are times that I just want the pager notfication and not the "noise".

Thanks;

Marty

Old 12-01-2007, 04:46 AM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Factory Security System

Yes it’s a very simple install and no the dealer does not have to be involved. As well as I can remember, just remove the mudguard (two bolts) for easy access. Snap the siren in and then attach the plug and run the antenna. I don’t have the pager and don’t know if you can disable the siren without disabling the security system. I ordered mine online from http://www.haleshd.com/.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Ratkiller
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless this system has been improved over the years it really isn't worth the money. I installed it back in 2003 on my Heritage. Worst money ever spent. Alarm is fine but the pager nerver worked reliably. I could go on about all the things I tried to get this thing to work but in short the placement of the paging unit is under the seat on the top of the battery. The heat from the oil tank will cause it to fail or send false signals and error codes to the pager. Or none at all.
I will look into lo-jack next time around.

Oh and you can not disable the alarm and only use pager mode. Though the pager has the same features as a normal pager, alarm or vibrate if that's what you ment and the information above is also correct about the installation.

There are many forums where this has been discussed from time to time so I know I'm not alone with this problem. It was even brought up to Harley engineers by others. Without naming forums since I feel this is by far isthe bestforum I've visited and been a member ofover as many years as I've owned my bike, you might do a search of the internet on the subject and get more information.

I'm not saying that the problem may not have been corrected (Smart Siren II), itmight have, but I won't spend the money to find out. My pager sits on the shelf in my garage as a testimate and reminder that all mods are not successful.

Just my .02.

I might also add that this problem seemed to be Softail related only as many of the Touring bikes didn't seem to have this problem. But I think it was because the units were located in a different area on the bike.

Ratkiller

Old 12-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Figstr
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with Ratkiller. I have an 07 Custom with the pager and siren. The sensor is not very sensitive and doesn't work as well as I think it should. I'm a high school teacher and take the bike to work as often as I can. I used to park in the lot next to my side of the building until another teacher told me he had to kick a girl off my bike (I know park in the front where I can see the bike from my classroom window and where students don't go). She was sitting on the back seat while her little boyfriend was taking pics with his camera phone. With all her moving around on the bike the alarm never went off and I never got a page that it had. I know the alarm didn't go off because I asked the other teacher about it. So not worth the money. I know there are other alarm systems that are worth the money and perhaps someone can chime in with their names.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:45 AM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is another thread and some pics of my installation.

https://www.hdforums.com/m.asp?m=230...page=1&key=

Old 12-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

With all her moving around on the bike the alarm never went off
I don't think that it is that type of alarm, its not that sensitive. You have to tilt or move the bikeor turn the ignition switch on to activate the alarm.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:27 PM
tkdblackbelt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same bike and installed the siren and then later set up the pager. I love it, really wanted it to let me know if someone was messing with the bike, and it does work, had to let some one know to move along or be prepared to get their skull dented...lol. I dont think you can turn off the siren, but the pager can either beep or vibrate to notify you. Really easy install.