Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moisture in Deluxe's Tail Light?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:00 AM
ndnhog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moisture in Deluxe's Tail Light?

I've noticed when I wash my deluxe a little bit moisture forms inside the tail light and to some degree the blinkers. I'm not using a powerwasher, just a bucket full of water/soap and a sponge. The dealership said they were made to breath and it couldn't be fixed. Anyone else having this problem?

Old 12-29-2007, 09:18 AM
blk n wht hog
Cruiser
Default RE: Moisture in Deluxe's Tail Light?

ndnhog, I havent had that problem, but I can tell you that if you take the tombstone lense kit off you will see that the clear plastic view lense for the license plate light has a foam like glue around it and you may want to use a thin strip of window sealer around the outside edge of that to cure the problem. In order to take the light kit off you will need a 1/4" Torx. I found this out while I added a small chrome visor over the tombstone taillight to match the chrome visors that I added to the headlight and running lights of my Deluxe. I picked up a Husky 11pc set of Torx sockets from the home depot for around $12.00. Harley has a few of these styled screws on the Deluxe that made buying the set very useful.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 AM
dave2800
Cruiser
Default RE: Moisture in Deluxe's Tail Light?

I haven't noticed anymoisture in the brake light but I did notice that moisture and dirt does get inside the fender tip light on my Heritage.

Another place I found moisture to be a big problemwas in the headlight and driving lights on my Heritage. I was washing it this past summer and noticed the lenses seemed somewhat hazey. I decided to open them up to wipe them off. They cleaned off fine. But what I did notice was that water was able to get inside the housing and it started to cause some surface rust inside. When the bike is parked on the kickstand there is nowhere for any water to drain.

Open your headlight up, you might be surprised what you see inside. I touched the surface rust up with a little rustolium.

Dave