Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I understanding this correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:52 PM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Am I understanding this correctly?

I would like to make sure I am reading my service manual correctly. I have three lubricants that need changing? Engine oil, transmission oil and primary chain case oil? The question is the primary chain case oil. The transmission oil and chain case oil don’t mix and both require one quart of the same lubricant? There is no dip stick for the primary chain case? The only way to refill it is to remove the clutch inspection cover and pour it in through there? Am I reading this manual correctly? This is for a 07 Softail, 96, 6 speed. Thanks for the help.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47469/AEC3D073AA0D4EA9BA41F59896CB355A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2008, 06:19 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: Am I understanding this correctly?

Using synthetic oils......crankcase oil is changed at 5 K miles,
primary at 10K miles, and tranny at 20K miles.
No dip stick for primary....drain oil out, put oil in.
(if you understand this correctly).

Old 01-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only way to refill it is to remove the clutch inspection cover and pour it in through there? Am I reading this manual correctly? This is for a 07 Softail, 96, 6 speed. Thanks for the help.
You are reading correctly.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:12 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I change all 3 every 5K min. Change the engine some times every 2500 depending on the heat and mileage at the time. I use Amsoil. I know I over do it but not that expensive to do all 3 so what ever.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:03 AM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I change all3 at 5000km's (3100 miles). Your reading it right.

I use 20W50 Royal Purple Syn. in both motor and Primary and use Royal Purple 75W90 Syn. in the Trans. Also a K&N oil filter ( I think it's K&N???) It has a nut molded into the case so you won't need a oil filter wrench. Just a 5/8 combination wrench.

Just follow what's in the service manuel and you'll be fine. You can also re-use the primary gasket over and over again if your careful.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:16 AM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

themensh posted the intervals to change the oils at, as stated by the manual. You can change them as much or as little as you like, and as stated above, changeing them earlier is over kill, but hey its not really that expensive. That being said, I change my motor oil and primary oil at 5k miles ( I use Mobile 1) and the tranny at 20k miles. for the 5,10,15,20K mile service. The 1K service you should change all the oils just to get all the break in materials out of your bike. JMO.

Chris

Old 01-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Fightn_Tiger
Tourer

Gundog,

great time to be a Tiger.....LSU..LSU

Old 01-11-2008, 12:09 PM
customsoftail200
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use Amsoil 20W50 in the engine and primary, and the Amsoil 75w90 in the trans!!!!

Let me know if you need some.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:52 PM
DCS
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you read your manual correctly. There is no dip-stick to measureprimary's fluid level & no sight window to view the level either. When you take off the clutch inspection coveryou will notice a small beveled out area on the bottom part of the opening to the primary that will allow you to insert a funnel, helps to get all of the 1 quart of oil in there without having some drip down the primary if no funnel is used.

Later,
Dan

Old 05-25-2008, 12:37 PM
freebyrd
Road Master

Yes, you read your manual correctly. There is no dip-stick to measureprimary's fluid level & no sight window to view the level either. When you take off the clutch inspection coveryou will notice a small beveled out area on the bottom part of the opening to the primary that will allow you to insert a funnel, helps to get all of the 1 quart of oil in there without having some drip down the primary if no funnel is used.

Later,
Dan
wow thanks dan i am doing the service on my 07 street bob today, i finished the crank and the tranny last week and last night repectively and was going to do the primary today and i can easily see the drain plug but i'm thinking where the hell do you put in the primary oil, theres no fill hole

so after i drain then pull off the derby cover i fill with one quart in the little beveled out opening you mention, is it ok to be on the jiffy stand or does someone have to hold the bike up straight? also whats the torque spec on the derby cover screws and should they be tightened in a star pattern, and the torque on the drain plug would be nice too, i know get a service manual?[:@]
freebyrd

Quick Reply: Am I understanding this correctly?