Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Nuvi Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:46 PM
06ClassicRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin Nuvi Help

Being a relatively new member I know this issue has probably been hashed over a gazillion times. For that I apologize. And after using the search I didn't find the exact answer I was searching for. I received a nice Garmin Nuvi 200 GPS for a gift. Works great in the car. I would like to use it on my Heritage Classic and am looking for creative solutions in mounting one specific tomy bike. One thought I had was getting one of those clear plastic pencil cases with the three-ring binder holes in it along with a zip closure and mounting it from my windshield bag somehow, perhaps with nylon ties. This way it is protected, accessibleand visible. Does anyone have a clever way to mount these systems onto a bike such as mine? Or is the only way to go out and purchase one of the bike mounts sold by a few distributors?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:00 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: Garmin Nuvi Help

I have a Nuvi 660 mounted on the left handlebar using a RAM mount.
I have a power wire running under the gas tank from the battery
(like the ones used on trickle chargers) and I wired a cigarette 12 volt
plug to connect the power wire to.
I plug the Nuvi into the 12 volt plug and stuff the wires into my windshield bag.
I have ridden in the rain with the Nuvi 660 several times with nothing bad
happening (so far! LOL).
I guess you could put yours in a ziplock bag and punch holes and secure
with wire ties....only you would see it. LOL

Old 01-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this nice chrome handlebar mount yesterday, a little pricey, but should be able to mate something to the 4 screws and then use the idea posted below for wiring. I'm in process doing same thing for my fat bob, i.e. trying to come up with optimal solution for the power. Perhaps you can use the cradle from the nuvi to mount to the plate in the pic somehow. just some ideas. I"ll post some pics once my stuff arrives, hopefully in next couple days, just ordered today. good luck. do a google on ram mounts also, and see what you can find. almost forgot the website for the chrome mount, also they have different size for 1 in, 1 1/4 in handlebars.

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/page/L/PROD/GPS/ED-Ch

ORIGINAL: 06ClassicRider

Being a relatively new member I know this issue has probably been hashed over a gazillion times. For that I apologize. And after using the search I didn't find the exact answer I was searching for. I received a nice Garmin Nuvi 200 GPS for a gift. Works great in the car. I would like to use it on my Heritage Classic and am looking for creative solutions in mounting one specific tomy bike. One thought I had was getting one of those clear plastic pencil cases with the three-ring binder holes in it along with a zip closure and mounting it from my windshield bag somehow, perhaps with nylon ties. This way it is protected, accessibleand visible. Does anyone have a clever way to mount these systems onto a bike such as mine? Or is the only way to go out and purchase one of the bike mounts sold by a few distributors?
[IMG]local://upfiles/48997/9045E0B9622B43FE871EEA926D38F546.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-07-2008, 07:40 PM
rsavage
Tourer

I mounted mine on a chrome "ball mount" that I bought off ebay. I have a Garmin 580C. I wired a 12 volt lighter cord that I bought extra into the bike's accessory wire up under the speedo and added an accessory switch on the left handlebar. The unit works on accessory or run and I can shut off power to it completely via the handlebar switch. I bought the 580c because of the mp3 player.
If it rains, I'll take it off, put it in the bags in a zipbag. I'll try to take a couple of photos and post.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:12 PM
rsavage
Tourer

These photos may be too large to download and doing this isn't my forte:

[IMG]local://upfiles/43473/A11DC4D8538042DF9B7EA2891FC6A77C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-07-2008, 08:13 PM
rsavage
Tourer

Another

[IMG]local://upfiles/43473/477812E25B9A42CCA4BE47EED16F558A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-07-2008, 08:15 PM
rsavage
Tourer

one more

[IMG]local://upfiles/43473/E5A917AF05F84517A49CE681B89BEA62.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Hiflyer
Cruiser

RSAVAGE, I like the looks of your setup. Looks very practical and functional. Do you know the manufacturer of the ball you got on ebay ?

Old 01-08-2008, 01:18 PM
clueless
Tourer

I would recommend the RAM mount. its easy to clip in your NUVI and remove. get the cradle and then buy the type with the hose clamp style clamp. the U Clamp base will work with 1" bars only with the larger U Clamp. if you have the 1.25" bar then you need the hose clamp style base.

for power there is a place online (forget the site) but do a google search, that makes power cables with a USB end. it has the fuse and regualtor built in and the direct connect termination for the battery.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:41 PM
dastark
Road Master

I've got the Nuvi too. I opted for a "Techmount". It's a very nise chrome unit that looks like it came on the bike. The "Ram" was my other choice, and what I hear it's a good unit as well. I just didn't like the plastic appearance of it. (Yeah..I like chrome.) Anyhow, Google techmount and see what you find. As for water resistance, I rubberband a baggie around it. No problems

Quick Reply: Garmin Nuvi Help