Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar removal question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Pat C
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebar removal question

I planning on changing out my handlebars and chrome housings, levers, grips this weekend. I have an 07 Fatboy, I purchased a manual, it says to slide tank back and remove instrument console, and also to drain transmission fluid and remove transmission cover. Is all these things neccesary for handlebar removal?

[IMG]local://upfiles/45014/5E963253FC8E4AFDACCC0AB9F86A394A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Handlebar removal question

You have to remove the tranny side cover to remove and reinstall the clutch cable. As for sliding the tank back, I would take it off and bench it just to keep and of Murphys Mishaps away from it while working on the bike. You need to move the tank to gain access to the wire conectors dor the switch housings. That is assuming all that will be changed if you put on different size handlebars. Good luck with the install.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:10 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Sanford nailed it. If you're not changing cables there is no need to mess with the tranny at all. You will need to slide the tank back to access the wiring connections.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:38 PM
PhantomMaxx
Tourer

If you are NOT changing the cables there is no need to mess with the tranny. If you are just changing the handlebar and are NOT doing the internal wiring or extending the wire length then you will NOT to remove the tank either. You only remove the tank to get access to the connections located under the fat part of the tank. But you may as well do the internal wiring since your going to change your handlebar.

This is what the connections look like under the tank. Carefully take notes of wire placement in the connecter and then remove the wires from connecter one-by-one.

When changing out the stock to chrome housing be sure to put a 3/16" shim between the the brake switch and the brake lever. This ensures you don't damage the rubber boot on the switch housing.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Pat C
Cruiser

Thanks for the advise, but, do I have to remove instument console like manuals says? How do you remove the wires from connector?

[IMG]local://upfiles/45014/9DEF6FCD7B92430093FD59190F06296C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-10-2008, 09:30 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Take the chrome nut off the middle of the console, it lifts straight up. I got a fender protector for the auto-parts store to protect the tank anytime I am working on the Bike. they cost about 5 bucks. Harley makes a fitted one for about 30 bucks. invest in something of the sort.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:30 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What bars are you going to put on. If more than a couple of inches, you may need to extend your wires. Just keep this in mind so you can plan on it if your target is to finish in just the weekend.

You should have a Electrical section in the manual that describes how to remove the pins from the connector. I have an 07' Deluxe, which are Molex connectors; very simple to remove pins using just a paperclip. I think what PhantomMaxx is showing is prior to 07', Deusch type connector. Take a "pic" and post itif you can of the connector and we'll be able to guide you through. Just be patient and don;t rush, and will be a breeze...

Old 01-10-2008, 11:25 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So in summary...

You only need to pull the tranny cover off if you are changing/replacing your clutch cable. You can use the adjuster to create enough slack in the cable to get it on and off the lever without having to get into the tranny.

You only need to pull the tank if you are going to internally wire the new bars OR if you will need to extend the control wires. If you have three hands and/or are dextrous enough, you can get at the connectors without pulling the tank all the way off.

It was specifically mentioned here and can be easily overlooked: If you have to extend the control wiring, you will likely need to also extend the turn signal wiring as well (unless you relocate the turn signals to the forks).

Old 01-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Pat C
Cruiser

I'm changing bars with Carlini's clean sweeps with 7" rise, do you think I have to extend wires? My question was, when I slide the tank back do I have to remove the instrument console like the service manual says?

[IMG]local://upfiles/45014/442167C82E494EB191E7AE968B954CFD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-10-2008, 06:29 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If that is anything more than 2-3" over the stock rise you'll likely need to extend your wiring.

I saw a post (once) where someone said there is some excess wiring length zip tied back by the battery that is there specifically for the need to extend the wiring for larger bars. But admittedly I only ever saw that posted once and I have no proof. More than likely you'll end up adding a few inches of wiring.

I think you can get away with leaving the console on when you move the tank.

Quick Reply: Handlebar removal question