Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help removing seat on 2006 Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:48 AM
BK Meyers
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help removing seat on 2006 Heritage

Hey Everyone,
I need to put a battery tender on my 2006 Heritage (FLSTCI model). I am having a problem removing the seat in order to access the battery.

I have removed the rear thumbscrew for the p-pad, removed the 2 side thumbscrews for the drivers seat, and removed the grab strap (all this per the instructions in the manual). I still cannot get the seat to slide rearward so the seat tongue disengages from the frame.

Am I missing the removal of any mounting hardware/bolts??? Seems like there should be some hold-down bolts at the rear of the front seat, securing it to the fender, but I cannot feel them.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
BK Meyers

Old 01-27-2008, 10:17 AM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Need help removing seat on 2006 Heritage

I know exactly what your talking about. I have an FLSTC seat on my Fatboy. You didnt miss any screws, you got all three of them. What you need to do is take a screw driver and pry (not to hard) on the screws that are under the drivers seat. Take your screw driver and gently pry a little between the seat bracket and where it attaches to the frame and the seat will just pop off. The part of the frame that the seat screws into has a little lip on it that holds the seat in place if the screws come out and that is why it wont just lift off.

Chris

Old 01-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Don't be so nice to it! Grab the seat and pull up and back. The first time is always a bugger. It's usually the two thumbscrews on the side pinching where they thread in.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:02 PM
BK Meyers
Cruiser

Thanks guys.Will give it another try.

BK

Old 01-27-2008, 02:08 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

You shouldnt have to remove the seat to use the tender. One of these should be on it already.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

If there is not one I would buy one. But it should have one just hook the tender to that. Makes life easier. I didnt know I had one either till I started to put one on it. Dont know how I missed it for 2 years.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

You shouldnt have to remove the seat to use the tender. One of these should be on it already.
That's why he wants to remove the seat, so he can install the harness. If your bike came with one new, it was probably installed by the dealer during set-up.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:29 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Geoseismic

That's why he wants to remove the seat, so he can install the harness. If your bike came with one new, it was probably installed by the dealer during set-up.
Oh ok thanks. I was told by a dealer that does my tech work (I didnt buy the bike from them)all 2006 Heritage modelscame with it. Sometimes they are wrong. I am amazed though that as sorry as the dealership I bought the bike from installed it. Not good people to do tech work on a bike. I suppose even a clock can be right twice in 24 hours. Maybe it was their turn. Thanks for the correction.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:55 PM
rsavage
Tourer

Take a close look on the right side of your bike near the oil tank. Chances are you have a tender pig tail already factory installed. I know it was on my 08 deluxe. It will have a rubber end plub on it to keep the two terminals from corroding.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:39 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a word of advice. Before you take the seat off, do something to protect the rear fender. If it's like my 02, the side nuts have a spring in them. You may have to pull then out as you remove the seat.

As you remove (or tug) the seat off, watch the back hold down point. It can scratch the rear fender. Don't ask me how I know. You could always put some duct tape there and then clean it up with Goo-Gone. Same when you put it on, watch that little bugger.

When you put it back on, I'd remove and omit the strap. really, if your leaving on the backrest, you shouldn't need it. It'll also make it easier the next time you remove the seat.

Just my 0.02

Old 01-28-2008, 11:21 AM
BK Meyers
Cruiser

Thanks for all the replies. Just got in from work and will check for the harness.

BK

Quick Reply: Need help removing seat on 2006 Heritage