Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering my bike this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:19 AM
07deluxe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailering my bike this weekend.

Finaly leaving leaving SO.CAL. for good! What to do? Trailering my scoot up to ABQ. NM, its about 750 miles and dont want to be out of juice at the end of my trip; ShouldI just disconect the battery or deactivate the security system? If I'm to deactivate the the security system, how's that done? I have a 07 Deluxe with the keyless fob. Any suggestions would be great!

Old 02-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Rabbit_
Road Captain
Default RE: Trailering my bike this weekend.

There is a procedure in your owners manual that explains how to set it for transportation when trailering or towing you bike.
Here it is.

To Arm the system:
[ul][*]Turn ING key to ON and set OFF/RUN switch to OFF.[*]Turn ING key to ACC[*]Press both turn switches. Turn signals will flash once.[*]Turn ING to OFF. The system responds with 3 turn signal flashes.[/ul]

To Disarm the system:
[ul][*]With fob present, turn ING to ON.[*]Set OFF/RUN switch to RUN to exit transport mode.[/ul]

It doesn't say, but I presume you may need to have your fob present to arm it as well.

Cheers, I hope this helps.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:00 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 159 Likes on 98 Posts

unless you drive like an old lady, i don't think your battery will go dead in the time it takes to drive 750 miles.. how long does that take? maybe 2 days??

Old 02-07-2008, 11:11 AM
07deluxe
Road Captain

Thanks for the fast and detailed reply!

ORIGINAL: Rabbit_

There is a procedure in your owners manual that explains how to set it for transportation when trailering or towing you bike.
Here it is.

To Arm the system:
[ul][*]Turn ING key to ON and set OFF/RUN switch to OFF.[*]Turn ING key to ACC[*]Press both turn switches. Turn signals will flash once.[*]Turn ING to OFF. The system responds with 3 turn signal flashes.[/ul]

To Disarm the system:
[ul][*]With fob present, turn ING to ON.[*]Set OFF/RUN switch to RUN to exit transport mode.[/ul]

It doesn't say, but I presume you may need to have your fob present to arm it as well.

Cheers, I hope this helps.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:17 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: mplecha

unless you drive like an old lady, i don't think your battery will go dead in the time it takes to drive 750 miles.. how long does that take? maybe 2 days??
+1.

most of us letthem sit in the garage longer than that.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:27 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

As you can see by the pic below, I have trailered my bike. I trailer it to Daytona, because as you can see in the pic, there's just to much snow to deal with in February for a 1500 mile trip south from NH.

Far as the security, I never evenarm it while she's in my own garage and I don'r engage it for the ride in a trailer either.

Far as the battery goes, I don't disconnect it unless a repair calls for it. Even then sometimes I disregard the step to disconnect the batt.

good luck with your move

chappy

ORIGINAL: 07deluxe

Finaly leaving leaving SO.CAL. for good! What to do? Trailering my scoot up to ABQ. NM, its about 750 miles and dont want to be out of juice at the end of my trip; ShouldI just disconect the battery or deactivate the security system? If I'm to deactivate the the security system, how's that done? I have a 07 Deluxe with the keyless fob. Any suggestions would be great!

Old 02-07-2008, 12:37 PM
ratzila
Tourer

ORIGINAL: aviator

ORIGINAL: mplecha

+1.

most of us letthem sit in the garage longer than that.
I had to quit riding for about 6 months for health reasons. It fired right up with no problem. And I did not hook it to a battery tender.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:37 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Chappy,
I think he is saying his bike is set to auto arm the security.

That is good information about bypassing the security. I just bought a trailer and both my wife's bike and my bike are set to auto arm. I did not even think about by passing it.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 02-07-2008, 04:26 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 159 Likes on 98 Posts

Who trailers a touring bike????

ORIGINAL: chappy

Hi,

As you can see by the pic below, I have trailered my bike. I trailer it to Daytona, because as you can see in the pic, there's just to much snow to deal with in February for a 1500 mile trip south from NH.

Far as the security, I never evenarm it while she's in my own garage and I don'r engage it for the ride in a trailer either.

Far as the battery goes, I don't disconnect it unless a repair calls for it. Even then sometimes I disregard the step to disconnect the batt.

good luck with your move

chappy

ORIGINAL: 07deluxe

Old 02-07-2008, 06:47 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Commander,

Wow, just goes to show how fast the HD technology is going.
My bike is an '03 and it doesn't have auto armsecurity.
I didn't even know they had that feature now.
Mine requires me to make the choice to arm.
I guess I better wake up. lol

chappy

ORIGINAL: commander112

Chappy,
I think he is saying his bike is set to auto arm the security.

That is good information about bypassing the security. I just bought a trailer and both my wife's bike and my bike are set to auto arm. I did not even think about by passing it.

Thanks,

Mark

Quick Reply: Trailering my bike this weekend.