Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:29 AM
thedeacon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Fatboy

Hi all! Would like to get some tips about riding my new Fatboy. I am making the switch from a much lighter bike and would appreciate any tips or helpful information on riding a heavier bike. My new bike also has the added "heel"shifter which I have no experience with. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Thedeacon

Old 02-08-2008, 07:54 AM
smitbrad
Tourer
Default RE: new Fatboy

I never used my heel shifter so I took it off. Removing the heel shifter also gives you more room to move your foot around on the floor board.
Just take it easy until you get comfortable riding your new FB. The bike handles great and you won't really notice the extra weight when riding. Most important pointer is to give yourselfmore distance to come to a stop.I would suggest going to a parking lot and get use to performing hard stops.

Congrats on the new bike! Happy riding!

Old 02-08-2008, 08:22 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Took my heel shifter off also. I like the extra room on the floor board.
I put pressure on the rear brake when doing slow maneuvers. It gives me better control.
Make sure your jiffy stand is pushed fully forward and locked in place before you get off the bike.
Tom

Old 02-08-2008, 09:07 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No heel shifter on mine. Just ride and the feel will come to you before you know it.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:13 AM
gunner065
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my heel shifter. I ride with my heels on the forward part of the boards which is more comfortable for me. My Fatty was the first bike I rode in 20yrs. So I had to basically learn how to ride again. Took all of 5 mins. The bike is easy to handle. Just practice doing tight turns in a parking lot. Just give yourself a little extra braking distance. Ride safe.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:14 AM
1st HD
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a heel shifter on my Fat Boy too. I never use it so I may do as the others have done and remove it.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:44 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I took off the heel shifter too. I agree with the other posts about practicing in a large parking lot - then hit the streets and enjoy!

Old 02-08-2008, 11:08 AM
thedeacon
6th Gear

Thanks all for the help! Great advice. My friend who rides a heavy bike told me just watch your balance at a stand still, if the bike starts to tip, just get out of the way! I will be hitting the parking lots to become acquainted with my bike.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:40 AM
angelboy
6th Gear

All this talk! I can't wait for mine to be delivered for the new registrations! Only 4 Saturdays left!

Old 02-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Waltman
Tourer

ORIGINAL: thedeacon

Thanks all for the help! Great advice. My friend who rides a heavy bike told me just watch your balance at a stand still, if the bike starts to tip, just get out of the way! I will be hitting the parking lots to become acquainted with my bike.
Some advice. I've ridden jap and italian bikes for twenty-five years,andmy previous ridewas a '04 BMW RT1150 and that bike is huge and tall compared to my 07 FB. I can tell you a couple of times the bimmer decided to go sideways there it went. the Fat Boy even though heavy is well balanced and the center of gravity is low, it will notgo down unless you do something stupid (like forgetting you are on two wheels). Rememberthis law: "While the bike has tractionit WILL NOT go down". Heel and toe shifter does not bother me, it's a Harley thing, part of the image. I like it. Riding a Fat Boy for me became an instant connection, sweet bike to ride, smoother than my old bimmer plus sounds better. You are not a novice so it won't be a big deal. Beware, more accidents happen in the parking lot. The "security feeling" a parking lot may give you can work against you. Couple of times I've seen folks dropping their rides while "practicing" in a parking lot. Just get on the road and enjoy, I do. 13K miles in the odo of worry free problems. Just my 2c.

Quick Reply: new Fatboy