Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making stock HD two-into-two a 2 into 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:51 PM
lvspringer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making stock HD two-into-two a 2 into 1

I initially put this question in the technical section for exhaust related questions but have not found an answer yet so I thought I would take my query here as well.

On my stock FLSTSCI there is a cross over pipe that goes to the "dual" left-sided exhaust. Like on most of these, the exhaust appears to be for "looks" only as it doesn't handle the amount of exhaust that the right side does.

I would like to make my stock exhaust a 2-into-1 and wonder if that small pipe and left side exhaust can be removed by welding a small plate over the exhaust to divert all of the exhaust to the right-side 2-into-1 exhaust.

Anyone do this? Anyone see any technical problems with doing this? I'm not an exhaust expert but it does not appear to really be function over form?

Thanks in advance

Old 02-11-2008, 07:23 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Making stock HD two-into-two a 2 into 1

Honestly I see no reason why you could not cut off the left hand pipe on the bike and weld a plate over the hole for a 2 into 1 system. The only drawback I can see would be not being able to hide your cap piece and not having a heat shield for the part that you cut off.

Chris

Old 02-12-2008, 07:43 AM
lvspringer
Cruiser

Thanks Chris!

The cross-over pipe is fairly well hidden between the oil tank and rear cylinder and if I cut the pipejust as the extension piece leaves the main exhaust header then you probably won't be able to see it all. Plus, I plan to jet-coat the whole system in flat black. As for the heat shield, that part of the system is uncovered right at the joint anyway. I can't see any reasons why myself but there are a lot smarter guys than me here :-)

Old 02-12-2008, 09:17 PM
snip0721
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you wanted to not powder coat the pipes, i think i would go this way. cut the pipe to be removed. smooth weld as good as possable. make an oversized patch, from a section of light stainless steel tubing. heili-arc (tig) section in place. buff to a high luster orwet sand 600/800. install shields. holler if you need a piece of s.s. tubing. your local muffler shop will give you a small scrap if you opt for a non s.s. version. i.e jet coat.hope this give you better ideas. steve

Old 02-13-2008, 02:49 PM
lvspringer
Cruiser

Steve,

Thanks! Sounds like you might be a welder. Actually, I took the header to a local shop and that's pretty much what they are going to do. On the rear cylinder exhaust, once the small cross-over tube is cut you can't even see it so even if I wasn't going with the jet-coating - I doubt you'd be able to see the weld. I'm powder coating a good deal of the chrome on the bike and the exhaust will go black as well so how the weld looks isn't too important since you really can't see it.Now... I'm trying to find the correct age-appropriate tip for a true vintage look.