Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pak ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:10 PM
jefnightrain
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pak ?

have a 2006 night train. Getting ready to install arlen ness big sucker ac & v&h big shots staggered. If this is the only mods I am planning on isn't the v&h fuel pak the best bet for the money? Also bought the bike used so I don't really know what has been done to it. If it had a stage one download done, how would I know & would this effect the fuel pak. Have not had a bike for years & am looking forward to peppering you guys with questions

Old 02-12-2008, 07:20 PM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer
Default RE: fuel pak ?

I would get the Power Commander III. It is a little more flexible than the Fuel Pack and most good Dyno shops will have the hook-up that auto programs the PCIII during the Dyno runs. Don't need the download if you have a management system like the PCIII because it sits between the bike and the ECM and feeds the right info to it. My bike ran good with the Fuel Moto map that came pre-installed on it for my setup (tell them when you buy it and they pre-load it). However I droppeda couple hundredclams on an indie in Dayton and he did some Dyno runs and now it runs perfect.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:24 AM
nightrider87
Cruiser

i would suggest the power cammander III. My neighbor had a fuel pak on his dressor, and it ran ok for a while, but then it would idle at 3000rpms or just stall at traffic lights, and belch black smoke out the intake, he put a PCIII on it and it runs like a champ. Also my father has a fuelpak on his v-rod and it burns gas like a sum bitch. He has been talkin to vance and hines for longer then i care to remember, we even got the sales rep down in myrtle beach last year to try and give him some help. Turns out, the fuel pak is not pattented yet, so they dont want anyone to know how it works, the numbers they give you, dont work on an increasingscale like you might think, my father has been trying to figure it out andhe thinksthe numbers are for the frontcylinder the the back one, then the next set is is for a different rpm for the front then rear cylinderand so on. My fathermodified some of the numbers they gave him, and it helped out a little, but it still black smokes like a diesel at high rpms, and isnt able to get past 8500 rpms, the rev limiter is 9000 rpms. He just got a PCIII off ebay and once his bike gets back from the dealer with new tires hes gonna put it on.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:59 AM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I wouldnt...

Nor would I bother with a PCIII (02 eliminators?! WTF? Yeah take away any chance of your engine thinking for itself)

Get a SERT or worse case scenario buy a Thundermax. Dont buy into the "autotune" craze. They dont.

I have a Fuelpak, bought it before being informed. I am in the process of buying a SERT and ditching the Fuelpak onto the shelf.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:28 AM
AzDeuce
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a fuel pak on mine with pipes and stage1 at 1k service. It runs fine no problems but with everything I've read Iwill probablychange to PCIII and have it dyno tuned.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:44 PM
rsavage
Tourer

I'd suggest that you go to the Moto Fuel site and read why O2 sensor eliminators are used. You are talking about 60 -70 bucks more for the PC III than the fuelpak. The PCIII can be computer changed (remapped) as opposed to a manually input value change on the Fuelpak. I believe that there is a little more versatility with the PC III. I just ordered one for my Deluxe and I previously had one on my Nightser. That had some decel pops that can be eliminated with and updated map - now my son can worry about it as he has it. I'm not pushing Fuel Moto, but they do a lot of dyno testing and map generating according to their site. Others here have recommended them, so I am giving them a try.
Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:04 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree that the PCIII is much better than a fuel pak.

But then the SERT and TM is lightyears ahead of the PCIII.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:59 PM
jl1288
2nd Gear

I've used the fuel pak on a 2006 FXST with V&H big radius pipes(with baffles) and an arlen ness big sucker II ac. It ran fine, although it didn't have any better throttle response than when it was stock. I have to say it also got an avg of 50mpg on the hwy @70 mph riding 2 up. Over this winter I added Andrews T37G cams and the Thundermax efi module, and this combo pullls like a freight train outta hell. It cost me about 4mpg but has great roll on. Buy a HD service manual and read, read, read. Get online and do some research.An aftermarket or SERT fuel mgmt systemwill be more able to accomodate future engineupgrades than the fuel pak.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:00 AM
Goldfinger
Banned

I have the FP on 08 heritage with V&H bigshot Longs and Arlenn Ness Big Sucker, She runs great , alot more power than stock and sounds like a Harley should sound. Im happy so far, only 1200 miles on it.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:59 AM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't cut corner's in this area...

[IMG]local://upfiles/24219/575AF2A923CC4212B2D15B0075D9A900.jpg[/IMG]