Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowrider vs. Softail Custom

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:15 AM
turczytj
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowrider vs. Softail Custom

In a few months, I will be buying my first HD. I was almost certain it was going to be a Lowrider until I saw a really cool looking Softail Custom at the dealer. Now I am confused on what to get.

I understand the rubber-mounted engine in the Lowrider shakes at slow speeds while the Softail uses a counterbalance mechanismtosmooth out the ride. I am interested in a comfortable ride for weekend trips (along with one 1500 mile trip, one-way, once a year). What do you guys recommend and why?

Note - I rode dirtbikes and smaller street bikes in my past and never had a big bike before - if that matters.

Thx for the advice,
todd

Old 02-17-2008, 10:22 AM
WaterHog
Road Captain
Default RE: Lowrider vs. Softail Custom

Both great rides, it comes down to appreance, with or without r/shocks, there no bad chioce here.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:38 AM
danike
Advanced

I was in the same spot you are. I went for the look that I wanted, Remote oil tank, hidden suspension, king queen seat, ape handle bars, etc. I love the looks and ride of mine. Been busy adding that final touches this winter to make it that one of a kind.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Custom will be a more comfortable ride. Especially for longer rides. And there isn't a stock seat out there that can compare in comfort with the stock Softail Custom seat. I've ridden for hours with it and my butt never even started to hurt. There are aftermarket seats that don't compare with it. My vote definitely goes to the Custom over the Lowrider. I may seem a bit biased, though. I've always liked the look of the Dynas, but I knew I wanted a comfortable bike for longer trips. So I went with the Custom and don't regret it at all. I'll also point out that the riding position on the Custom is more comfortable, at least for me. You sit down in the bike instead of on top of the bike. Go for the Custom and enjoy tons of miles. You won't regret it.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:53 AM
av8r
Cruiser

I was in almost the same exact situation a few months ago. The best thing I can suggest is ride them. It won't tell you how it will feel on a 1500 mile trip, but it's about all you can do other than rentals. I rode several bikes before deciding on the Softail Custom. I stillwasn't surewhat to do after I rode them, but it helped a lot because the FXSTC felt just a tad more comfortable than the others. After that, it came down to what look and features I liked best. Ride them, look at them, then go with your gut. 3500 miles later, I'm real happy with my choice.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think everyone here has delt with/been throughyour situation. Everyone I know has come down to two bikes. As stated above, if you have access to both, rent them and see which one you like most. I didn't have that luxury. I spent weeks at the dealership looking at the two I was torn between, until I finally made my choice. Seven years later and I love my bike more now than when I first got it. Take your time with the decision, It'll come. Either way both are nice bikes.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:45 PM
CoyoteJoe
Banned

I bought a sportster to learn on and decided to keep it for a year to decide what I wanted. I was lucky as my friends let me drive thier bikes. and I was able to compare them. I think the most interesting thing I learned was that all bikes feel comfy on the showroom floor, and during a 5 minute ride, but after a few hundred miles it could be a different story. My co-worker's wife had a low rider, and I got to ride it on a couple extended trips. Its a nice bike, but I didn't like the vibration mostly. I also rode my co-workers Ultra, and I didn't like the mushy ride, vibrations and no air flow (I felt I was riding in a 2 wheeled caddilac). I got to ride my brothers fatboy, and liked the firm ride (like the Low rider) and the lack of vibrations, so I decided a softail was right for me. I has friends who like the shaking and rumbling (and vibrations) and they say thats what makes it a harley - you got to have what you enjoy. They are both nice bikes, you just need to figure out what you like more.

My advice to you is to rent a couple bikes for a day each. my Local dealler offers some deal like6 bikes - one day, where you can ride six bikes for an hour each, or 2 bikes for 4 hrs each,its for an extended road test.I've heard many dealers wave the rental fees if you actually buy a bike from them. If your lucky enough to friends that will let you ride thier bikes that even better - but when I got my permit my friends (and brother) wouldn't even let me touch thier bikes. When I showed that I could handle a bike, they offered to let me ride thiers.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Sarge4life
Road Captain

I've owned a Dyna for years and just recently purchased a Softail. I rode my SG from Greencastle to Deal's Gap, NC last year with absolutely no complaints. My buddy who rode with me was on a Softail and we would swap occasionally and he told me that he liked the way my SG rode. I just rode 300 miles last weekend on my new Softail and it was pretty close a ride to my buddy's.You were correct about the rubber mounted engine shaking at idle, but it smooths out almost immediately when you take off. The reason for a counterbalanced engine is for the look of the Softail. You don't have to have the clearances around the engine to accomodate it moving back and forth, so you can make the bike more compact. The counterbalanced engine idles smoother, however it transmits more high frequency vibration to the handlebars, pegs, and seat at highway speeds. Not a lot, but enough to notice the difference on longer rides. That is why all of the touring bikes still use the rubber mounted engines. The leg reach on a Dyna with factory forward controls is actually farther than stock forwards on a Softail. Any one of these differences aren't a big deal by themselves, but put them all together and it could mean something to you. The best thing you can do is ride both and make your own decisions. I have always been a Dyna guy, but I love my new Softail as well.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:24 PM
fatrat
4th Gear

hey man, Let me put my 2 cents in. I just brung a 2008 FXSTC home. This is my 7th and final bike I hope. I've had anything from a 1946 flathead to a 82 FLHF. Talk about vibration. This is the 1st bike I can actually see out the mirrors. The FXSTC sails down the road. Couldn't be more happier EXCEPT taller apes and louder pipes.
FATRAT

Old 02-17-2008, 03:19 PM
turczytj
Cruiser

Doesthe Softail vibrate (e.g., handlebars, seat) significantly at highway speeds compared to the Lowrider? If that is true, it seems that if I do mostly highway miles, I'd rather shake/vibrate at slow speeds (that I won't be doing much of)ratherthan at highway speeds.

How about noise levels between the bike. Any significant differences?

Thx for the feedback everyone. I appreciate it.

todd

Quick Reply: Lowrider vs. Softail Custom