Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making the swith to softail?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Road Head
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making the swith to softail?

Hey guys, I'm seriously considering a switch from XL to Dyna or Softail. I've researched the heck out of softails and dynas. Two up is a concern, since I've only riden solo on each and only around the block at the stealer. The softail custom is my favorite look. I can't afford the newer model and was told by the stealer the older ones without counterbalancers are not comfortable on long rides. Both are nice, but my biggest concern is I'm going to have this for a long time, so I have to make the right choice.

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:19 AM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain
Default RE: Making the swith to softail?

I have ridden both but I love my 07 Softail Custom.

Bone

Old 02-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Road Head
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Vikingnomad

I have ridden both but I love my 07 Softail Custom.

Bone
Any particular reason? ride quality, seat position etc

Old 02-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Sarge4life
Road Captain

I would recommend test driving both. If you are serious about buying, usually the stealership will let you test drive a few. If not, you should be able to rent a couple and they will refund the rental fee when you by one.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Road Head
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Sarge4life

I would recommend test driving both. If you are serious about buying, usually the stealership will let you test drive a few. If not, you should be able to rent a couple and they will refund the rental fee when you by one.
That's kind of the problem, I've ridden both and really like both.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:39 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,434 Likes on 21,388 Posts

There is no perfect choice. It's a matter of taste, of which is dictated by personal preference, as well as what you can afford.
They all are milwaukee vibrators.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:09 AM
cspcrx
Tourer

I switched from an 05 1200XLC to 07 FXST.
Reasons
1) My wife rides with me once in a while and she was not comfortable on the XLC. Just not much room for the two of use, Im 200lbs and shes 135lbs. Not big people by any means. Much more room on the softail and she is 110% more comfortable riding. She now goes on longer rides.
2) general power. Had to get on the XLC when riding two up to get going and I had a stage one on it. Just didnt have the torque that was needed. Blast to ride by my self but needed more to ride two up.
3) Style and accessories. Much more for the softails in the way of upgrades and I like the looks better.
I must say the night I rode it home I realy noticed the difference in how smooth the ride was and the extra power. Glad I switched. But I knew the XLC was just my starter bike.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

ORIGINAL: Road Head
I can't afford the newer model and was told by the stealer the older ones without counterbalancers are not comfortable on long rides.
BS! that's because he wants to sell you a new bike. He either hasn't ridden an old evo Softail very far or is a pussie. I've ridden 600 miles days back to back, nothing but enjoyment. Harley are suppose to shake, the counter balance is not needed (unless you have carpel tunnel real bad) and I doubt will hold up to lots of miles, we'll see. I like Softails because aftermarket and used parts are abundant. Everybody tears their softies apart and customizes them, not so much on the glides.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Sarge4life
Road Captain

If you like both, but money is a factor, look into a Superglide or Street Bob. I had a Superglide until I got my Bones and I loved it.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from a 1200 Custom to a Softail Deuce, and then to a Softail Custom. My reasoning was it would be a lot more comfortable for both me and my wife. Also, I liked the body positioning better on the Softails. You sit down in a Softail, rather than on top of the bike like you do on a Dyna. I also didn't like how far forward the forward controls were on the Dyna. They are closer on the Softail, so the reach is more comfortable for me. My Custom is a absolute pleasure to ride. It's definitely been the most Comfortable Harley I've had.

Quick Reply: Making the swith to softail?