Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attn: all Crossbones Owners and future owners!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:50 AM
White Guy
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Attn: all Crossbones Owners and future owners!!!!

Hey guys. Installed my Shortshots and Fuel Pak last night. Wanted to let all the Crossbones owners and future owners know that the added plugs, and Fuel Pak unit ***DOES NOT*** fit under the plastic that covers the battery and cpu. The problem is that the Bones has the two post bracket that holds the seat springs. The posts themselves are directly in the way of where one stoke wiring plug, and CPU are meant to sit. We tried for an hour or more. Cutting cable ties, making more room, and didn't even come close. The plastic does fit with post braket out. Tried that just to see the difference. There is no room under this thing.

So, here's what I'm gonna do. We're gonna cut an opening right above the Fuel Pak and the plug bundle so that it'll bolt on. I'm gonna get a nice peice of leather, and glue it down to the plastic and my friend is going to weave the same design as the tank strip along the sides to tie in the theme. That should give it plenty of room for the pieces to sit under the leather.

Man what a pain in the A$$... It does run beautifully, and sounds great at least. I'll take pics as soon as I get it all wrapped.

WG

Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 AM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 244 Posts
Default RE: Attn: all Crossbones Owners and future owners!!!!

Would it fit for someone who has changed out the original seat?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:18 AM
White Guy
Tourer

Oh I'm sure it would. Once you take that post bracket off, it's just like any other softail.

ORIGINAL: whylee

Would it fit for someone who has changed out the original seat?

Old 02-28-2008, 11:51 AM
White Guy
Tourer

Ok, made it work. The plastic piece has some spines that stick out to hold the battery in place. I cut these off to allow room for the Fuel Pak to sit directly on top of the battery filling the gap between the battery and the plastic cover. I also removed the CPU bracketing to allow the brain to move up slightly allowing the bundle of plugs to fit just under the stock plug. I velcroed the brain down about 1/2" up. The plastic pan fit right on with zero issues. If anyone needs help later, just PM me, and I'll help you out..

WG

Old 02-28-2008, 01:02 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally saw a Crossbones at the dealer today. Beautiful bike. The dealer had already swapped out the seat bcause no one there could touch the ground with the original one. They said you had to be like 6'4" for the original seat to be any good.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:37 PM
White Guy
Tourer

Well, they are smoking something good. I'm 5' 9 1/2". I sit totally flat footed. Such a comforable seat. I think changing the seat totally ruins the bike. But, I'm happy that people will doit, so mine will still look different... i hope everyone changes the seat! lol

ORIGINAL: ken thompson

Finally saw a Crossbones at the dealer today. Beautiful bike. The dealer had already swapped out the seat bcause no one there could touch the ground with the original one. They said you had to be like 6'4" for the original seat to be any good.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:53 PM
mojo76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm 6'5" and when i'm at a stop i have plenty of bend in my legs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/34914/9C97F85DE6E740BA81BEF6288403439D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-28-2008, 04:45 PM
flash1034
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts

Im 5'8" and I can flat foot it.

Flash

Old 02-28-2008, 06:08 PM
White Guy
Tourer

Correction... I'm totally bent legged when I sit on the bike. It's not tall at all... If you're too short to ride this bike, you got bigger problems than the seat... lol...

Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 446 Likes on 309 Posts

ORIGINAL: White Guy

Ok, made it work. The plastic piece has some spines that stick out to hold the battery in place. I cut these off to allow room for the Fuel Pak to sit directly on top of the battery filling the gap between the battery and the plastic cover. I also removed the CPU bracketing to allow the brain to move up slightly allowing the bundle of plugs to fit just under the stock plug. I velcroed the brain down about 1/2" up. The plastic pan fit right on with zero issues. If anyone needs help later, just PM me, and I'll help you out..

WG
I would be a little concerned about the battery outgassing and corroding the contacts in the fuelpak or damaging the casing on the box if it is just sitting on the battery. Look at the damage that happens to the cables attached to the battery from corrosive gas. Maybe I'm worring about nothing but it's just a thought. Good luck on your project.

Quick Reply: Attn: all Crossbones Owners and future owners!!!!