Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil coming out of air filter after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Injected
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil coming out of air filter after oil change

Hope its OK to post this issue in here. I inherited a 03 Titan Coyote (soft tail)w/ 4100 miles on it from my dad. Well it has been sitting for about a year. I got it running, rode it up the block and back to warm everything to change all the fluids. After I changed the oil and filter and I started it, oil is poringout of the breather vent that goes to the air filter housing (S&S "E" Carb).

My oil change procedure is....Drained oil tank and motor, changed filter. Poured 3qts into oil tank. Started engine and noticed the oil level dropping in the oil tank, added the other 1/2qt (oil level in tank remained low as most is on the damn floor)...after the engine ran for say...a minute or two oil started pouring out of the (I think) crank case vent hose to air cleaner housing. I shut the motor down, waited a few minutes thinking there is an air pocket in the oil system....fired it off again.....same thing.

Motor is a S&S 96" or 97" (not sure)

I'm freakin alittle cause I do not want to teare this thing up.Did I change the oil wrong?

Thanks for any help or advice guys!

Old 03-01-2008, 06:40 PM
G Rod
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil coming out of air filter after oil change

Probably too much oil in the tank.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:03 PM
chop09
Tourer

yep U likley overfilled the tank

Old 03-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Pops28
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you have the right filter. if it's not functioning properly, clogged or whatever, the oil than normally accumulates in the filter will just return to the tank and cause an overfill condition.

I'm not sure what the S&S motors use, but it's worth looking into.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:35 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

nine out of ten you over filled the oil tank. prpper procedure is to run the bike about a ten mile ride. come back drain the oil remove filter. put some oil in the new filter replace it. close the oil drain plug fill with about 2.8 quarts of oil. take it for a ride get it how. come bacl let bike idel for a min or two. shut down let sit a couple of minutes check the oil using the fill when hot make if needed add to mark done. This is proper for a harley engine may be different with the S&S

Old 03-01-2008, 08:42 PM
lwszabo
Cruiser

I had this happen to my 2000 Heritage just after a dealership oil change. I never had any problem until I went with synthetic, however I dont think that had anything to do with it. It did it at 80 MPH, and the dealership said dont go 80! and they said it was blowby and totally normal....yea right. I think it just had to much oil to be honest.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Injected
Stage IV

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys. I did double check and make sure the right oil filter in on the bike. As far as the amount of oil I put into it, 3 or 3 1/2 may have been a little to much, thoI did fill it to the previous mark.........However, As the bike is idling, there is oil squirting out the vent tube/hose at the filter housingand no oil is being returned back into the oil tank. As the bike is running I can watch the oil level lower in the tank and lake of oil grows bigger on the floor. Its like there is a air pocket in the return or something. Another words there is no oil being returned back into the oil tank, its all going out the vent hose. Remember that all was good before the oil change.

I did unscrew the oil filter to make sure oilwas in the filter and there was.

Its like the crank case is filling with oil and is unable to return back to the oil tank and because of this the oilthen goes out the vent hose.

Man, I know this is hard to diag over the keyboard, Hopefully someone has run into this before.

Thanks alot guys!!

Old 03-02-2008, 01:39 AM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If thats all you did and I'm no expert but not to bad on chevy's and stuff growing up
I would replace the new oil filter it may be defective. It could't hurt anymore then it
all ready does. But atleast it's one thing off the list. Hope everything works out for you.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:37 AM
blackend
Road Captain

check your oil return line. It may be plugged up or you my have oil pump problems (there are two sides to the pump "feed" & "scavenge") I have had the same problem and It turned out to be some **** in the return line! good luck with it

Old 03-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Injected
Stage IV

ORIGINAL: story808

If thats all you did and I'm no expert but not to bad on chevy's and stuff growing up
I would replace the new oil filter it may be defective. It could't hurt anymore then it
all ready does. But atleast it's one thing off the list. Hope everything works out for you.
I'll do that today, just to rule it out.

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Oil coming out of air filter after oil change