Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deuce taillight committing suicide. How to stop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:33 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Deuce taillight committing suicide. How to stop?

My wife's Deuce taillight assembly is popping out of the fender. The lastest time this happened was on a ride, nearly getting sucked up between the fender and wheel.

I pulled it once to install the turn/run/brake module. Since then it's been popping out. I've looked to ensure there is no obstructions or wires pushing it out and it appears there is nothing in the way. The bottom tab locks in and there is that tiny slot at the top of the tab where the fender metal is supposed to slip in. It appears to install fine but within a few hundred miles I am noticing it is popping out.

For now I have rigged some duct tape underneath to semi-hold it in place but I'm not confident this is the fix.

Fellow Deucelings.......Anyone else run into this? Ideas? Suggestions?

Old 03-02-2008, 04:39 PM
WaterHog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Deuce taillight committing suicide. How to stop?

Sounds like you may have forgot to re install properly, I do recall a couple of screws that held it in place.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:13 PM
brian350x
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine has done this once about 5k ago. i just made sure i pushed it back in real snug and made sure none of the wires were in the way and it has stayed put. i dont remember any screws holding it in.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Nice to hear I'm not the only one! Mine ejected, also. Really nice having it hanging there by the wiring harness, bouncing along happily on my paint job. Yes. Great.

I took it apart, and used black gasket silicone to hold the assembly together, and then re-installed it.

I keep my fingers crossed, and try not to keep looking over my shoulder.

Cannon

Old 03-02-2008, 06:48 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm thinking the silicone is going to be the fix.

Fellow member told me that some Deuce's came with a screw mount. License plate light have three screw holes. Two outter holes are for the license light assembly ans the center hold the tail light assembly. However, that's not the case with my wife's Deuce. Hers is a 2007 and came with no screws. Instead it uses that rubber tab. The center screw hole is used to insert a screw driver into to poke the tab and release the tail light assembly.

It had popped up a couple times after I installed the module. I figured I just didn't seat it properly. I rechecked to ensure no wires or other obstructions under it and reinstalled. I made a point to ensure it was pushed all the way down and that the fender metal was sandwiched in the rubber tab slot.

Apparently it just wiggles out over time. I think I am going to use silicone and add checking it to the pre-ride checklist that I always do.