Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick release windshields, do they work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:48 AM
coyotedustr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick release windshields, do they work?

Thanks for all the advise on the bag questions I posted earlier, I just ordered a detachable back for a t bag to store my stuff. Anyway, I am planning a ride from chicago to New Orleans in june and I am trying to cover bases ahead of time. So here goes, I have a night train and I want to know if the detachable windshield from harley works or not. Does it block the wind or does it just push it up into your face? does it work with the stock turn signals?

And for all of you that say there is not reason to put one on a night train and I should have bought a bagger, 99.9% I want nothing to do with a windshield or bags, but when traveling 8 hours a day, I am open to the idea of a windshield. As long as I can get rid of it when I get where I am going.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:31 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: quick release windshields, do they work?

ABSOLUTELY YES. Easy to use. Great protection. Used one on my dyna every time I traveled.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:43 AM
DrSmaggs
Tourer

Yes. I have one on my FXDXI and it's awesome!

You still get the wind in your hair, but you don't get bugs in your face or other road debris. You might also get some buffeting on your helmet.

I took some time to experiment with the height of my windshield and now I don't have buffeting at all.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:51 AM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

yup, works awsome, nice not to eat bugs especially at dusk when they get heavy. you still get wind, but not bad, reduces your fatigue big time. I have a NT too, and I only strap on the windscreen when it's below 50 or if I ride for 3 hours or more, especially when your goin 80mph

Old 03-03-2008, 10:11 AM
wingt50dw
Road Master

I wouldn't ride without one!! IMHO

Old 03-03-2008, 10:18 AM
jf
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

a quick caution myself and some others have bought the hd windshield and have found that the buffeting is much worse when you get above 50mph which is when you need the protection. i couldnt believe i spent ÂŁ350 on a shield and it was worse with it on. just my 2cents.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:10 AM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had one for my Deuce; it was awesome! You may decide not to take it off.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:11 AM
RoadRunner1
Cruiser

I have one on my 05 Deluxe and I wouldn’t leave home without it! Keeps the wind off you at highway speeds. Great in cold weather. You eat a lot less bugs and it deflects the road debris. It deflected a stone/rock the size of a golf ball which would have caught me in the face. The shield actually cracked.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:21 AM
guild
Cruiser

When i bought my Softail standard it came with a detachable windsheild.For me it did not work at all.. The wind came from under the windsheild it was due to how the detachable mountsI had two bikes in my shop with Reg windsheilds and i noticed on the detachable it sat further out due to how it mounts on the bike.
everbody has a differant experiance... But i have always said if i wanted a windsheild i would have bought a car... I did sell the windsheild to a customer... i told him what i thought hes ok with it but not overall happy with it either. best way is to find out on your own if it works for ya great! Just my 2 Cents

Old 03-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: coyotedustr

Thanks for all the advise on the bag questions I posted earlier, I just ordered a detachable back for a t bag to store my stuff. Anyway, I am planning a ride from chicago to New Orleans in june and I am trying to cover bases ahead of time. So here goes, I have a night train and I want to know if the detachable windshield from harley works or not. Does it block the wind or does it just push it up into your face? does it work with the stock turn signals?

And for all of you that say there is not reason to put one on a night train and I should have bought a bagger, 99.9% I want nothing to do with a windshield or bags, but when traveling 8 hours a day, I am open to the idea of a windshield. As long as I can get rid of it when I get where I am going.
Get over the macho "I'll never want a windshield" thing.

I really only use mine in the colder spring and fall temps. Or on a long trip where I will be spending a lot of time on the highway. That being said, in these conditions a windshield adds a whole new comfort elementand riding enjoyment......

Windshields are also awesome for your passenger, and they don't get hammered so much by face wind....

Quick Reply: quick release windshields, do they work?