Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear drive Deuce - just got her back

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gear drive Deuce - just got her back

Well. Just got Overtime back after her first time away from home.

I had 39,000 km's and change on the clock, and after some advice from a friend, and a great deal of research on this forum (for which I am extremely grateful), I had my bike converted to gear-drive. It was getting close to the fatal cam-chain tensionner problem, so I went ahead with it, along with some extras. Along with the gear drive conversion kit, I had my mechanic install some Andrews TW37G cams, a Fueling high-volume oil pump, Stage II TC adjustable push rods, and had my carb rebuilt - the previous owner had made some mods that weren't quite correct. Also, I had a torn diaphragm. Bike all tuned up and good to go. I had wanted to do the conversion, since I put so many miles on each season (I put over 20,000 km's on it give or take each season), and wanted to keep the engine relatively mild, since it is my long-distance touring/grocery-getter, etc. I have other bikes to use when I want to get out and break some speed limits.

I could only take it for a brief scoot around the block a few times, since it's the Great White North and the main roads are salted. I was limited for dry non-salted or sanded pavement, and it's pretty cold. Not to mention there's supposed to be a big storm coming.

Initial impressions: LOUD. Much louder exhaust note. I have the V&H big/long shots on the bike, because I like the low, loud rumble. Now the thing has a definite bark. The rumble is still there, but now it has a snap, and it roars when I put the boots to her. The gear drive whine is really cool. It sounds exactly like a muscle car that's had it done, although much quieter. I can really only hear the whine at low speeds, or at idle. High cool factor. The bike really pulls harder now. I can feel the difference in power and torque. It's like a whole new bike, and I suppose part of that was due to the carb problems I was having.

I will post more when the nice weather arrives, as I'd like to have the thing out and see what it revs to, etc, but for now, my grin is ear-to-ear. Very happy. Money well spent, and now I don't have to worry about rebuilding the bottom end when it comes time for a motor rebuild, in the future. This way I'll only need minor mods when I convert to the 103. The peace-of-mind is good, too. One of the tensionners looked just like the "bad" pictures people post of ones that are cooked. I wouldn't want the motor to grenade when I'm a couple of thousand miles from home.

Hell-any money spent on the baby is good money, right?

Cannon

Old 03-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Luxe
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Gear drive Deuce - just got her back

I know the "Bark" of which you speak. I did cams in my Deluxe, but stayed chain drive with new tensioners. It is much louder.

Cheers, from a fellow Canuck

Old 03-04-2008, 08:11 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So I guess both of you would recommend a cam swap?

I've been on the fence about doing it. I really want to but have heard a lot of people suggest that it's not worth it if you don't do more with it (i.e. heads ported and polished, big bore kit, etc). Trouble is, I don't have that kind of $$$ but I do want more umph. Sounds like this is what I should think about.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:14 AM
spike95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bensonjv,
You can get considerably large gains from a cam change. Of course it's better to do the whole thing, but if cams are all you can afford, do your research and get the baddest cam you can for stock heads.I am planning to getget cams (HQ00034G)and gear drive (about $700) from Head Quarters. Later on down the road, my cams and gears will still be great with head work done too. One thing to consider is that you'll probably need to upgrade from stock exhaust andchange to a higher flowing air filter.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:04 AM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes - I should have mentioned that. My carb is tuned & I'm using a K&N filter as well.My mechanic recommended the cams that would still work with the bigger engine kit, when I eventually do that work also. I wasn't looking for bigger horsepower or torque numbers - that wasn't why I was doing the work, so the extra noise & grunt were a bonus.

Luxe - Langley, BC, huh? Have a good friend there I haven't seen in years. I was based out inCFB Chilliwack for a while.

Cannon

Old 03-05-2008, 09:33 AM
TurtleRacing
Cruiser

Does anyone have a link to these gear drives? I'd like to check them out.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 AM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior

had my cams replaced at about 37 thou.
SS 510 gear drive very little if any noise
the power increase low and high rpm is well worth the money
exhaust is noiser and you get a little more Harley idle
installed mine cast about 13hundred but well worth it..

Old 03-05-2008, 10:45 AM
The Baron
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I am considering a gear drive set up as well as going to 95" but don't want to spend too much so I don't think I'll do anything to the heads right away. i just get worried that the crank will have too much runout but I suppose that's easy enought o check.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:59 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Johnny...What does that run in Cunuck bucks??? I've 51000 on the clock and it might be due? I heard the cams were about $900. what's it worth here in the Great White North if you don't mind?

Old 03-05-2008, 06:23 PM
spike95
Road Master

Here you go Turtleracing. It's near the bottom of the page.
http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/camshaftstwin.html

Quick Reply: Gear drive Deuce - just got her back