Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid oil leak!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 02:58 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stupid oil leak!

I just got back from a short ride this morning and noticed that my bike had a fair amount of oil accumulated on the top where the tranny bolts to the motor. SOB! This pisses me off!

Old 03-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stupid oil leak!

Well quit being pissed off and go out and figure out where it's coming from! If it's under warranty, take it in and get it fixed. If not, fix it and ride. Talking about it doesn't fix the problem.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:12 PM
The Baron
Banned

ORIGINAL: Bowtieman31

Well quit being pissed off and go out and figure out where it's coming from! If it's under warranty, take it in and get it fixed. If not, fix it and ride. Talking about it doesn't fix the problem.
I'm not really looking forward to pulling the primary, clutch, swingarm and tranny out to fix the leak. Let me bitch and moan for a bit, will ya! It's not like it's as easy as putting air in a tire.

Believe me, if it was under warranty I wouldn't give a ****.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:57 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Go ahead and bitch, I've been listening to my wife all day anyway. Must be something in the air.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:11 PM
rleather
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RockerMike,

That is one sweet lookin bike - ordered my Rocker-C last week and it should be ready for pick-up by the end of April. Please tell me anything & everything about the experience - both positives and negatives - I can't wait!!!

Thanks,
Rocker from Oklahoma

Old 03-23-2008, 07:20 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Baron

I'm not really looking forward to pulling the primary, clutch, swingarm and tranny out to fix the leak. Let me bitch and moan for a bit, will ya! It's not like it's as easy as putting air in a tire.

Look closely for where it's coming from. There is no oil in that area to leak out if this is a softail. Had to come from somewhere else and landed there, no ?
Ron

Old 03-23-2008, 08:31 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you just change the oil? Maybe put a bit too much in? If you did check the cap and see if its blowing out there and dripping down the front of the tank and or off the oil lines.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:26 AM
The Baron
Banned

ORIGINAL: rbabos

Look closely for where it's coming from. There is no oil in that area to leak out if this is a softail. Had to come from somewhere else and landed there, no ?
Ron
This was what I thought but there was nothing dripping from what I could see. It appears to be coming from the crack where the tranny meets the engine cases. There shouldn't be oil there from my understanding. It was even in a line along the seam with the spot wider in the center.

I cleaned it and will see what develops.

Citori, I changed the oil a while back and never had any oil in this area, no overfill.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:34 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Citori, I changed the oil a while back and never had any oil in this area, no overfill.
It was worth a shot, it seems to be a common reason for TC engine to have a leak. If its really coming from the primary/engine/tranny gasket its going to take a bit of work to fix. But its not like it blew out a crank seal. Anyone reasonably familiar with the layout and has the tools should be able to handle it.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:36 AM
The Baron
Banned

I found where the leak is coming from and I am none too happy.

Where the two case halves meet behind the rear cylinder there arethree raised casting points, with one being dead center. There's sort of a cutout spot that has case sealant visible. There is a pin hole in the sealant allowing oil to seep from it. The oil is coming from there and running down the raised casting down to where the tranny and engine cases bolt together.

This means that I'll eventually need to pull the motor and split the cases. I guess I'll start gathering parts to build a big inch stroker.

Quick Reply: Stupid oil leak!