Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:39 PM
willyp
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default headlight problems

My lowbeam quit working but the highbeam still works. Pulled the headlight apart and the yellow wire connecter in the plug witch supplies the 12 volts for the lowbeam is all melted ……….AGAIN. The first time I pulled the headlight apart back in Nov to have it powder coated I noticed the plug was melted but the light still worked. I replaced the plug when I reassembled the headlight. This is the second time this has happened and I have already replaced the plug once. Doesn’t seem to have any opens or chaffing in the wire. WTF? Anybody have any ideas and have seen this before?

willyp

Old 03-25-2008, 10:05 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: headlight problems

Are you useing one of the high wattage bulbs? They draw more power and might be the problem. If not check the connection at the back of the bulb and the ground wire for a poor connection. Bad connections can let the light work, but add enough resistance to the circuit to fry the wires.
Bad connections will also eat bulb filiments as they are the weakest part of the circuit.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:19 PM
willyp
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks for the reply, i think it happened the first time with the stock bulb but it still worked, i replaced the plug with a new one from the stealer and the bulb with a PIAA bulb that says "direct replacement for stock bikes using the h4 bulb with the 3 prong base" ill double check for the correct wattage and replace the plug again.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Be sure you check out the other end of the wires also, a bad connection doesn't have to be at the bulb itself to give you the problem. It just shows there because its hottest near the bulb and inside the housing there is not airflow to cool the wires.
Just for grins turn it on and feel the wires just outside the housing to see if they are getting hot there as well. That would be a clue to me that somethings not quite right. You may be forced to replace the wires with heavier gauge ones that can handle the load and its attendent heat better.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:02 AM
Waltman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked the fuse box?