Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a Harley. How badly is the dealer screwing me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:11 PM
sethhobrin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a Harley. How badly is the dealer screwing me?

I just bought an 08 Anniv black and copper Fatboy with security system. I paid approx $18,600 + tax. I asked them to waive freight and prep and they did after some back and forth. They also threw in a 1000 dollar gift card for their dealership.

I Also purchased the following:
Arlen Ness Big Sucker
V&H Big Shot Longs
SERT
Harley Essentials Kit(detachable passenger backrest, detachable windshield, turnsignal relocation kit)
Boss Bags Leather Saddle Bags

They are charging me about $950 in labor to install that stuff.

Now here is what I am trying to figure out. They did not give me a breakdown for the labor. I am assuming since they told me at 1000 miles I need to bring my bike in to get dyno tuned and that it would be free that they already charged me the 4 hours of dyno time in this labor cost. Does that seem about right?

The reason I am asking is that I HATE this dealership. I am having an awful time with every person at the dealership and I would rather get a refund for the labor to do the dyno work and take it to a better dealership. I also heard that this dealership does not have the proper equipment(they dont have the dyno brake to simulate torque or something like that).

Do you think that 900+ in labor includes 4 hours of dyno time or does the 900+ in labor sound about right for installing pipes, bags, sissybar, sert, high flow AC, windshield?

What are my chances of being able to get a refund on the 4 hours of labor they charged me for dyno time(again I am assuming this since they said that the dyno tune would be free at 1000 miles)

David

Old 04-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Airywhisler
Road Warrior
Default RE: Just bought a Harley. How badly is the dealer screwing me?

David, David, David, why are you spending 20K with this dealership if you feel this way, patients my friend, look somewhere else. If financed, you have three days to walk away from the deal. You know what HD stands for? "Happy Dave". Lets ride

Old 04-01-2008, 12:25 PM
sethhobrin
Advanced

It's been 10 days since I signed the paperwork. I would love to be able to walk away.

I wasn't really treated poorly until the paperwork was signed which is why I am wondering how hard it will be to get a refund on the labor for the dyno tune since they won't even be doing it until I hit 1000 miles. Sometimes it takes a little while before you realize your being lied to and cooerced.

My nightmare did not begin until after I signed the paperwork.....

Old 04-01-2008, 12:27 PM
bmaccer29
6th Gear

I don't think the HD dealers are like car dealers. If you like your bike and spent close to what you wanted you got a good deal. I bought my bike from personal friends and didn't get a $1000 gift card, I got a $500 gift card. I got my optional wheel paid for a few little extras. Have fun with your new ride

Old 04-01-2008, 12:30 PM
mt325
Tourer

I would get an itemized offer and then shop it. If they give you trouble with that request then WALK!!!!! You are the customer and it should be an enjoyable experience. I went to 5 dealerships, I paid a bit more at the dealership that I bought from but they made me feel the most comfortable plus their parts and service department is the best. My.02

Old 04-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain

They should be doing the dyno tune when the pipes and SERT are done, so they are probably going to recheck the mapping at your 1,000 mile service...like the other guys say...if ya don't like the dealership tell them you are gonna walk away then see how fast they change their tune...

Da Bone...

Old 04-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Waltman
Tourer

You should consider yourself lucky, they gave you a break in prep and freight, they gave you $1,000 gift certificate, now you want your money back? Just ride, no more whining.

All I got was a lousy t-shirt. ssheeesh.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:09 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

labor sounds about right. every single thing you're having done comes with it's own hourly shop rate - do the math. of course, you could have doneeverthing except therace tuner- and it would have taken about 3 hrs.

OH - if you bought this bike 10 days ago... and are just now asking - SUCK IT DOWN AND GET ON WITH LIFE!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 01:16 PM
sethhobrin
Advanced

They may have given me free freight and prep and a $1000 gift card but every other dealership in town(Milwaukee) has $1500 off MSRP so its pretty much a wash...

My sales guy has not returned any of my calls last week which is unnacceptable. I left 3 messages and 3 seperate days and he is a complete ***** in person(likes to talk more about how rich he is and how his parents gave him a free house on lake michigan, etc than about motorcycles) and we were nothing but really nice to him.

The parts guy kept insisting I should go with a SE High Flo AC over an Arlen Ness big sucker even though I explained that the SE AC has a cheapo paper filter in it nowadays and it tends to fall apart and get sucked into the engine. His response was to just buy a K&N replacement. Why in the world would I want to spend another $50 above and beyond the price of the high flo AC when I can get a good quality filter and AC at the same time for less money??? Obviously there is a high margin on the SE parts.....

Then Hal's dealership in Milwaukee tells me that the dealership I went to does not have a dyno break(which simulates road drag) and it wouldn't be an accurate dyno tune(when I pay 4 hours labor at $85 I expect to get my moneys worth).

Anyways... I just called and spoke with the finance guy at the dealership I bought it at(since he was the only decent person there) and explained to him my concerns. He said the other dealership was not accurate and that they do have a dyno break and a great dyno guy. He also apologised for the rest of the staff and how I was treated and he broke down the labor for me(11 hours total for all of the work including the dyno tune). I don't know what to believe....

FYI they don't do a dyno tune when you first get your bike because it is not broken in yet. They just load a mapping for the pipes and high floand once it is broken in they do the actual dyno tune at 1000 miles.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Some dealers will give you free labor if you buy the parts before delivery and they install them. As I see it it's a wash, they charged you $950 for labor but gave you $1000 Gift card. Just use the card for the labor and your good to go.

That's the way the game is played... go out and ride...

Mike
NY

Quick Reply: Just bought a Harley. How badly is the dealer screwing me?